J5Cub

The RV8 project I picked up did not include the wing tips. Seems the previous owner lent them to someone who was going to use them to construct tip tanks and he never got them back. So, I am going to have to purchase a set. I did a search and found out that there are a couple of styles that are available from Vans and at least one other company making tips.

What I did not see is a lot of discussion (it might be there and I missed it) about the pros and cons of each of the tips. I think the RV8 came with either the older W-715 but now come with a W-715-1. I assume that the W715-1 is better in some respect. Any other Tips worth considering?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Greg

The differences are mainly cosmetic.

The older style is sort of a Hoerner tip. There are a lot of pictures on Doug's site of Danny King's RV-8, which has the old style tips.

The newer ones are sort of a "bat wing" with the trailing edge sweeping aft to a point. Dan Checkoway's RV-7 is a well documented example IIRC.

Aerodynamically there are theoretical advantages to the newer tip, but in practice they are negligible.

The newer ones have a provision for flush lighting (although I think they can be ordered without this).

Many people have changed to the newer style during construction so their airplane looks newer--apparently the chicks dig it. This means that a lot of the older style tips are languishing in hangars and can be had cheap.

HTH

J5Cub said:
The RV8 project I picked up did not include the wing tips.... I think the RV8 came with either the older W-715 but now come with a W-715-1. I assume that the W715-1 is better in some respect......Regards,
Greg
I don't know that the W715-1 is any "better." Having recently acquired the wing kit, I ordered it with the older style tips, the same ones fitted to my 6A. It comes down to a matter of personal taste. I chose them for two reasons. I am not an ardent fan of wingtip lighting nor the sheared "Batman" look of the newer tips. Other builders are certain to see things differently. Beauty is after all, in the eye of the beholder. Just go with a style that resonates with you.

New style=Aggravation

Took two sets of the new style wing tips to get a decent fit on my current 8. I have two sets of the old style that I plan to use on the 8 currently under construction. I like the old style look. I also believe there are two styles of the "bat wings". I think one has a straight rear edge and the other has a curved rear edge.

FWIW.

Hi Greg,

To my knowledge, there are 3 different tips. When the -8 originally came out, the tips were the same as they had been on all the models previously. These tips were 12" wide at the front, and rear. They were flat on top, and rounded on the bottom. An example of these is on Van's page under the RV-6 details.

When the -7 came out, they went to the 2nd variety which are often called the "bat wingtips". These are 12" wide at the front, 18" wide at the rear, and rounded on the top and bottom. These are shown on the RV-8 info page at Van's site.

In the last year or so, they've come out with a 3rd variety. These are just like the 2nd variety, except that the trailing edge is now straight across, rather than bat-like. Also, there's a difference in the light cutout.

The 2nd and 3rd types give you about 1 sq/ft more wing area per wing, but I've never heard anyone claim any noticeable performance improvements.

My first RV-8 had the original tips, and it was sooooooooo nice to be able to put the 3 in one Whelan strobe/position lights on those. That meant there was no need for that white light on the lower rudder tip (I hate that thing).

The current RV-8 has the 3rd version of tips, and my lone regret of the plane so far is that I didn't find a set of the original tips to use. Since these are wider at the rear, the rear facing light that was used on the combo Whelan strobes is blocked by the tips. Now you're stuck fitting, and wiring that annoying tail strobe/position light (did I mention I hate that thing). The good news is that you now have a place for a tip light, but the bad news is that I don't think tip landing lights will ever match what's possible with the Duckworks leading edge lights.

Good luck choosing :p

Rusty

Wing tips: Clearing up the fog

I'm all over this topic, since I'm in the process of switching from one type of tip to the other. I've taken the liberty of directly quoting from the latest (5th issue 2006) of the RVator. I hope this isn't against any copyright laws and I want to state that this information is not mine - but that of Van's Aircraft, INC.

That said, here is the rather long direct quote. This is the entire write-up in the newsletter. I apologize for the length, but it will serve to clear the air here.

"Wingtip and lighting guide
Over the years we have shipped three different style wing tips for our two-seat aircraft. In the beginning, there was the W-415 Hoerner-style tip with the flat top. this was used on RV-4's, RV-6's, and many RV-8's. Then, at approximately the same time the RV-7 was introduced, came the W-715 tip with the "bat-wing" trailing edge and a molded-in cove that accepted the Whelen A-650 position light/strobe units included in our Lighting System 6, which had become the de-facto "standard" for most new RVs.

This survived until 2005, when we introduced the W-715-1 on the RV-7 and RV-8. This is distinguished from the W-715 by the straight trailing edge (easier to make) and the larger cove on the leading edge that can accept a landing light as well as the usual position/strobe lights.

All of these wingtips will physically fit all short-wing 2 seat RVs. RV-3, RV-9 and RV-10 use a different tip altogether.

Now, the lights: the W-415 (still supplied with RV-4/6 wing kits) has no cove in the leading edge.

Those with W-415 tips and who want a recessed light installation may install the Airtech Lens kit (LN AT TIP LITE) or the smaller lens kit (LN CLEAR LENS KIT). Both these kits will accommodate position lights, but are not designed for strobes. The larger LN AT TIP LITE might have anough room for a strobe, but we haven't tried it, so we don't know for sure.

W-415 users who do not particularly care about the drag penalty of protruding lights can forgo the lens kits and simply put W-1285 position lights or A650 position light/stobe units on the outside of the tip. They can also install the 3-way A600 unit, which combines the position light, stobe and aft-facing rear light into one exterior unit.

We have never provided a landing light kit for the W-415 wingtip, although there is at least one aftermarket kit that may still be abvailable.

Builders using the W-715 tip will find that the cove in the tip will accept either a W-1285 position light or A650 position light/strobe unit. However, we sell no landing light that will fit in the cove.

Builders using the W-715-1 can install a W-1285 position light or A650 position light/strobe unit, and have the option of installing a pair of small circular landing lights in both tips. For the landing light option, order LL 7/8 MR-16.

RV-9 builders can use all the same options as those using W-715-1. No wingtip landing light option is available.

RV-10 builders have all the same options as W-715-1 users, except the landing light kit is LL 10 MR-16 and has just one circular lamp in each wing tip.

In addition to the wingtip landing light kits, there are various options for landing lights mounted in the leading edge of the wing. Some builders worry about cutting into the metal leading edge, but they needn't...it's a well proven, simple, strong installation. If you really want to throw light, for instance, you're landing on unlit grass strips, the leading edge lights (especially the HID version) are better. If you want a moderate amount of light, or just want to let other pilots see you coming, the wingtip landing lights work well."

Wing tip Pics

Here are example pics of the W-715 and W-715-1.

W-715
dscn0325ml0.jpg

W-715-1
dscn0324sa8.jpg

As far as doing away with the tail position light goes????

Anyone see a problem running a short fiberoptic cable from the cove in the front of the wing tip to the trailing edge of the wing tip??

Now don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no experience with this stuff and maybe it's rediculously expensive or brittle or completely wrong for this application but it seemed on the surface to be a simple(?) solution and would simplify lighting/wiring/future maintanence.

I'm thinking of going with LED position lights and strobes in the enclosed tips and two HID's in the leading edges? Thoughts??