flyboy1963

Well Known Member
I've perused the archives, and while lots of info, still need to determine the next best step. Flaps were intermittent, and popped the breaker twice in 2 years. (at about 120 hrs now.)
I have about 10 hours, or say 20 operations since I removed and cleaned up the flap motor bushings etc. Very thin film of grease found.

Intermittent; Flap will not move after initial set to half flap. ....moving switch up and down a few times with no effect. Turn base to final, try again; now moves normally.
I've bench tested the switch with normal function. In the hangar they'll go up and down all day.:(

Should I .........
1. replace the stock Van's switch with some super-duty version?
2. then the flap motor?

(most concerned about getting grounded somewhere with full flaps down.)

any ideas? thanks,

I would first disconnect the actuator and verify that the flaps move freely without excessive force. If everything else checks fine (wiring switches etc) I would replace the motor.

When in doubt, clean clean clean!

I've had to clean my flap motor about 4 or 5 times over 5 years of flying. Had the best results (time between cleaning), by removing the motor, then the armature and cleaning thoroughly, especially the commutator area where the brushes ride. Try using an Xacto type blade to remove any embedded material between the segments on the commutator, then clean again with solvent. Also, clean the area around the wormgear where the motor assembly mounts to the gearbox of excessive grease. Originally, this grease was working its way up into the motor area. Each time I clean the motor, there appears to be less grease (or whatever it is), inside the motor. I also used Q-tips dipped in solvent to clean the brushes before reinstalling.

Hope this helps,

Mugsy

Last edited:
flap motor recommendation?

I recall reading a a thread where there were some retrofits to the original 'motion' motor, and some guys sent theirs in for a rebuild to superior specs.
other options anyone?
thx

For what it's worth!

I had a similar problem and put across the flap motor a small pilot light on long leads so that in the cabin I could see if the motor was receiving power when the motor failed to function.
I found that the light did not come on so I was able to find an o/c in a dirty connector.
It probably isn't your problem but the light might confirm that there is power at the motor or not when the fault occurs.

Ted