asw20c

Well Known Member
Hi all,
I'm getting close to first flight so I have begun shopping for insurance. One carrier, Gallagher, has a fairly benign training requirement but for the fact that it has to be in the RV-14A with an instructor experienced in that make and model. They are checking to see if I can substitute another RV model with the same gear type. Although I would prefer to have my transition training in an RV-14A, finding a CFI with an RV-14A or access to one is going to be tough in New Mexico. Likely impossible. Do any of you know of an instructor with access to an RV-14A that is close to New Mexico?

Hi all,
I'm getting close to first flight so I have begun shopping for insurance. One carrier, Gallagher, has a fairly benign training requirement but for the fact that it has to be in the RV-14A with an instructor experienced in that make and model. They are checking to see if I can substitute another RV model with the same gear type. Although I would prefer to have my transition training in an RV-14A, finding a CFI with an RV-14A or access to one is going to be tough in New Mexico. Likely impossible. Do any of you know of an instructor with access to an RV-14A that is close to New Mexico?
My insurance company was fine with a RV-14A or RV-10 as an airframe. As a matter of fact, Alex DeDominicis (DFW area) will use his 10 and log it as RV-10/14A transition training. They fly and perform almost identical. He's also a very good instructor. Full time job is with the FAA.

Be careful.
1. The FARs explicitly do not allow a cfi to use his EAB for instruction given to others, for hire (Using yours-where you don’t charge yourself for the plane-is okay.)
2. The FSDO will issue a waiver to #1, for ‘transition training only’. So that’s what you’re looking for, someone with that waiver (a ‘LODA’ in faa-speak).
3. Standard aircraft insurance does not cover this use. Getting coverage is not cheap. Only the high volume guys seem able to make it work, so there aren’t many. TX (Alex) or OR (Mike) are the two I know of.