LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
I started the process of removing pins from the Molex connector for the ICOM A210 today (blogging about it here). Here's what the pins look like. See the little barb on the top? That's what holds it in place in the connector when you push it in.

power_pin_up_close.jpg

So, theoretically, I should be able to insert a small wire (like this DSub pin extractor from Vertical Power (I've never been able to get the pins out of the Vertical Power power connection!) which would force the barb down and allow me to remove the pin from the backside.

vp_pin_extract.jpg

No dice. I've tried all morning. I did learn one thing, though. See that loose black wire below? ICOM has this schematic which tells you to jam two #18 wires into a single connector. This is a bad idea and I knew -- after the fact -- this was a bad idea because Stein Bruch said it was a bad idea. He suggested just a single wire from both of those pins and then, to serve as a jumper, solder one to the other "upstream."

molex_try.jpg

So I knew -- because Stein said so -- that this connection would fail and one of the reasons I'm pulling all the pins is to change that set-up. As you can see, it did fail. It failed on the first tug while trying to remove the pin.

Anyway. Who's got a spiffy, easy way to get these pins out? In the meantime, I'm going to clean leaves out of the gutter now.

They do make a tool for this.

But, I have used a straightened (flat) bobby pin and at one time a narrow jewelers screwdriver.

Hope this helps.
JP

I have found that a small "spade" of thin aluminum cut just narrow enough to slide in from the front is sufficient to dislodge the tab.

Bob,

There is a tool that consists of a barrel and plunger that goes into the center of the barrel. I picked up some brass tubing at the hobby shop that fit the pin pretty close and used a piece of hinge pin to push it out the back side...Jewelers screw driver will work just be careful not to damage the retention barbs. The tubing worked like a champ. I picked up the tool after just cause.

http://www.action-electronics.com/molex.htm#Tool