I owned an RV12 for a few years, now have a vintage Piper Cherokee and would like to buy a used RV homebuilt to put more fun back into flying. I want to earn an tailwheel endorsement (I have about 550 flight hours total) and want to find a CFI in Minnesota willing to train me in a Van's tailwheel plane. It would be ideal if it was in a RV9 as that is my goal, but I think any Van's side by side model will satisfy my insurance company. Can you help me out with a CFI that owns or can borrow a Van's for this?

I owned an RV12 for a few years, now have a vintage Piper Cherokee and would like to buy a used RV homebuilt to put more fun back into flying. I want to earn an tailwheel endorsement (I have about 550 flight hours total) and want to find a CFI in Minnesota willing to train me in a Van's tailwheel plane. It would be ideal if it was in a RV9 as that is my goal, but I think any Van's side by side model will satisfy my insurance company. Can you help me out with a CFI that owns or can borrow a Van's for this?
Unless you have a good friend-CFI who will do this for absolutely free, what you are asking is not legal under the FARs. (If you pay the cfi for training in an EAB aircraft that he provides, he is using the EAB airplane for compensation.). Options: Go rent a Cub or similar, get your endorsement. Or, wait until you purchase a RV9, then train and get your endorsement in your plane (this is okay since you don’t compensate yourself for using your plane). But you might check with your insurance company first, as to what the premium will be if you start training with no TW endorsement. Same with ‘borrowing’ an airplane. Any insurance will be void unless you clear this use with the insurance company first.

Call or email the Twin Cities RV Builders Group and pose your issue to them. Big club, very helpful and friendly, resources all over the state.

I agree that your best option is probably to do the transition training in your own airplane. I also agree that you should consider researching insurance options sooner rather than later. IMHO, don't do that here on VAF...call an insurance broker like Gallagher or BWI.

Last edited: