BillFear

Well Known Member
OK, it has happened twice now. Out doing some practice approaches, reach up to operate the autopilot - hit a bump - hand slips down and turns off the master switch on the EXP bus. Not good, takes the GRT EFIS units several minutes to reboot and orient, plus I loose the route in the IFR GPS!!!

Anybody aware of any guards available for the small plastic switches on the EXP2 bus? Any other good ideas out there?

OK, it has happened twice now. Out doing some practice approaches, reach up to operate the autopilot - hit a bump - hand slips down and turns off the master switch on the EXP bus. Not good, takes the GRT EFIS units several minutes to reboot and orient, plus I loose the route in the IFR GPS!!!

Anybody aware of any guards available for the small plastic switches on the EXP2 bus? Any other good ideas out there?

Bill,

I do not know of a switch guard for the plastic rocker switches but will verify this is a problem. I had the same set up when operating the RV-7A with the Subby engine except the switched were toggle.

On 2 occasions when fiddling with the auto pilot, the 3 position master switch was knocked to off and the the engine quit. (the engine would run on back up battery or main battery but not in the off position)

The fix was to install a 1/4" rod across the top of the switches mounted to a stand off on each end. You had to reach behind the rod to activate the switch. That might work with the rocker switches.

switch guard

or, one small U shaped switch guard mounted horizontally below the autopilot/above the master switch. might be able to use the lower autopilot mounting screws as a mount point and not have to drill additional holes in the panel.