wrongway john

Well Known Member
Anybody know of a good source for those particular two drill bit sizes that will let you buy in bulk at a discounted price? Seems like every company I?ve ran across wants you to buy one to two in a package, or buy an assortment of drill bits with every size imaginable, while not letting us concentrate on our particular sizes we need. Any leads would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I bought mine from either Cleavland or Avery-----maybe both.

Call them----both really good folks to work with.

I do not know the answer to your question but I, too, like to have sharp drill bits so I purchased a bit sharpener. Specifically, I acquired the higher end Drill Doctor (750x, I think) which can be set for greater angles than normally found. This allows me to sharpen and split the points on all my dull bits and provides me a way to modify bits for plexiglas work. I have about twelve bits in each size and just put them in a container when they're dull and sharpen them all at a single session. (Takes about three or four minutes a bit.)

I hope this suggestion is of use.

I bought mine from either Cleavland or Avery-----maybe both.

Call them----both really good folks to work with.

Ditto. I'm sure they will sell in whatever quantity you want. I know at least one of them has bags of 6ea #30s and #40s ready to go.

Anybody know of a good source for those particular two drill bit sizes that will let you buy in bulk at a discounted price? Seems like every company I?ve ran across wants you to buy one to two in a package, or buy an assortment of drill bits with every size imaginable, while not letting us concentrate on our particular sizes we need. Any leads would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Clevealand Tools has them in packages of 6:

http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/products.asp?dept=19

Comes out to a little over a dollar per bit.

Harbor Freight

Harbor Freight sells them in packages of 10 (they are just labeled in fractions) for cheap. Dave

I got bags of 50 each size on the worlds best known on line auction site at a really good price. I even managed to get a bag of 50 #30 short drills with pilot tips for around $10. "Surplus" Boeing.

Try your local nut & bolt store or an industrial supply company. I've bought bulk from both sources. That way you don't have to pay shipping and can buy as you need them, also, you can have the Wife pickem' up. K

Thanks everybody. The bag of six is certainly better than the one or two. Like the 50 bulk even better. I?ll look a little harder at those places you guys suggested.

Specifically, I acquired the higher end Drill Doctor (750x, I think) which can be set for greater angles than normally found. This allows me to sharpen and split the points on all my dull bits and provides me a way to modify bits for plexiglas work. I have about twelve bits in each size and just put them in a container when they're dull and sharpen them all at a single session. (Takes about three or four minutes a bit.)

I hope this suggestion is of use.

I would like to do something like this as well. I have the lesser expensive drill doctor. I don?t think it has the angles needed for what we use on aluminum, so I?ll look at the more expensive models. Mine works okay for about one or two holes when drilling through steel, then I have to re-sharpen it again. It's just not worth the effort.

Can the drill bits today still be flame hardened or are the materials a bit different? Many a year ago when I was a kid my dad used to sharpen them by eye on a regular grinder, then flame harden them with his gas torch. Gosh, I wished I paid more attention back then.

Mine works okay for about one or two holes when drilling through steel, then I have to re-sharpen it again. It's just not worth the effort.

Can the drill bits today still be flame hardened or are the materials a bit different?

Are you using a lubricant when drilling through steel? Try a little bit of tool oil while drilling through steel to extend the life of the points.

As for your second question...I don't know if bits can be flame hardened. Sharpen one, heat it cherry red, let it cool, and test it out. I'd be curious to know if it helps but I'd recommend CAUTION and EYE PROTECTION when using such a bit!

BTW, the two standard drill bit angles are 118* and 135*...I think my new drill bits are 118* so your Drill Doctor should work fine on those.

Split Point

The recommended drill bits are split point, essentially the flutes have two tips that inscribe a tiny circle. I don't know if a Drill Dr. will sharpen split point bits. Also take into account what your time is worth. #40 bits probably aren't worth the effort.

When drilling steel keep the drill speed slow; fast for aluminum.

re: Brown's

Send me a pm.
Brown's is literally across the street and about 100yds. west of me.
I'll go get your bits and mail them to you.

Marshall Alexander