skyking902001

Well Known Member
I need to dimple the 704 bottom rib of the rudder and have a bit of a problem. The holes in the flange are a bit close to the inside bend of the web. My female die would not sit flush against the flange. So, I took an old female die, chucked it in my drill and spun it against my running band sander. Turned the die down until it fits flush inside the flange/web bend. Inserted the die into the squeezer yoke. Now, it seems the nose of the yoke contacts the web, not allowing the female die to sit flush against the flange. Any suggestions other than grinding down the nose of the yoke?
DSCN0303.jpg
DSCN0304.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Skyking902001
RV8, emp.

I ground mine...

I have ground all of my yokes down to the diameter of the dies to prevent the exact problem you describe. I also have the small diameter female die avery sells. It works well, but before that I used a modified die like you describe.

just grind the end of the yoke...

grind the end of the yoke and don't look back... by the time you get to the end of the project you will likely have many tools that you have ground on, bent, cut, abused, or otherwise modified.

Grind the yoke!

Thanks for the replys. I woke up about 2AM thinking about this and decided that grinding the end of the yoke would be the best solution. This airplane building sure results in plenty of sleepness nights!

Skyking902001
RV8