pczar3

Well Known Member
Patron
Well I finally started on the firewall penetrations for my painfully slow build -6A. I have a little chicken and egg problem going on here. I need to order a custom throttle and mixture cable but to get a good measurement I need to have the eyeball holes opened up. So... to the question, does anyone know what size the eyeballs need to be drilled? I guess another way of asking is what is the diameter of the throttle and mixture cables? I've looked all over but can't find the info.
Thanks for the help
Paul

pczar3
N694BP reserved

Well, if you're using the eyeballs from Avery or ACS, they're about 1.25". So, drill about 1/2" to get a rough idea and then finalize it when you finish. If you're using some other hardware, order the hardware and it should have the opening dimensions in the installation instructions. The cables themselves are only about 5/16" (less, I believe), so you could make minimal holes in the firewall to do your locating and length measurement.

Thanks

It is the 5/16 or less number I was interested in getting. I will probably open them up to 1/4 and then go from there.
Thanks, Paul

pczar3
N694BP reserved

You probably want to drill out the eyeballs a couple of thousants less than the cable diameter, just enough "crush" to hold the cable in place, but not so much as to cause binding.

Oh, I see. You were asking about the hole in the eyeballs themselves. I drilled mine .25 as the Van-supplied cable was .263 - .267 (I went back and measured again to be sure I told you right). I think the ACS cables are larger but their dimensions are listed in the catalog. Sorry for misunderstanding the question.

Thanks for all the answers!

I can't think of a better community of folks. Just ask and you get the answer. I appreciate the help. Now, back to building.

Paul

pczar3
N694BP reserved