Xkuzme1

Well Known Member
Hey guys, I'm am looking at the possibility of buying an Rv-4 in Spokane soon. I do not live anywhere close and the insurance company says that I'd need a checkout from a CFI.

Anyone set me in the right direction?

Thanks!

X

I think it will be difficult to get a checkout in an RV-4. There are no rear seat rudder pedals, brakes or throttle on most.
My wife took training from Mike Seager in Vernonia Oregon. He teaches in an RV-7. After she mastered that, he got her set up in her RV-4 (I flew the -4 to Scapoose for her).
He taxied with her and did a brief blast down the runway without taking off, then got out and let her fly.
Mike is the RV- checkout instructor in the Northwet that the insurance company's like to see in your logbook.
Yes it does cost a bit, but at was also very fun. Mike is a great guy.

Double check with your insurance company if they're adamant about it being in a -4 model. My insurance company accepted my transition and tailwheel training in a -6 model. After flying a -6 from the right seat (to acclimate left hand throttle control), the -4 is a piece of cake.

If its the RV-4 in Spokane on Brainstormers your looking at that is all white, it has rear seat controls. That would certainly help. Looks like a nice plane..but then it looks exactly like my all-white RV-4 (Casper), so I'm partial!

Checkouts, transition training, and insurance

Seems that different insurance companies have different levels of tolerance for inexperience and training in the RV series.

My first year I insured my RV-4 through EAA, and they (rightfully) demanded transition training. I did 10 hours in a RV-7 since I had very low tail wheel time. Approximately $1000 annual premium.

My second year I insured through AOPA. No problems and again about $1000 annual premium.

Now here's where the story gets interesting. I purchased a RV-8 and went back to AOPA for another policy. They demanded more transition training. I had 200 hours in my RV-4 AND previous transition training in the RV-7. What could a small amount of training possibly do to make me more insurable. Proposed annual premium about $1300 for the RV-8 (plus the demand for training)

So I went to NationAir for a quote. No training requirement and $1000 annual premium.

What I'm getting at is that NationAir seems to understand RVs. Jenny used to be the go to person, but I think she has been promoted, and Shanna now handles the RVs.

Do yourself a favor and talk with NationAir before you decide who to insure with.

I realize this thread was a request for transition training, but I think it's relevant to note that most of this training is as a result of demands from insurance companies. And those demands will differ greatly between insurers.

Jim
N444JT

Last edited:
As checkouts or time in type are concerned, what proof is required by an insurance company? When I got insurance for my C-172 all they did was ask me a few questions over the phone. I could have lied. One insurance company I called regarding my RV-4 required only 5 hours tail wheel time, but never asked me to send proof.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lies, lies, and damned lies

If you're going to lie to an insurance company on your application you might just as well go without insurance. They will just invalidate your coverage when you make a claim. If enough money is involved, they will get to the truth.

Jim
N444JT

I was very recently new to the RV4 also (bought one last month) and had trouble getting insurance. I quoted thru EAA (Falcon) and NationAir. Since I was a newbie, the only underwriter that would quote me for both companies was US Specialty. All US Specialty wants is a signoff from a CFI with RV experience. The CFI will have to provide his time in the RV so they can approve him/her. US Specialty had no requirement of "transition training" or specific number of hours. They just wanted the CFI signoff.

Anyway, I never was able to get the signoff so now I am just flying off some hours in the pattern. I am still waiting to hear back from them how many hours I need to fly before they will give me coverage. The previous quote was 500/yr with the cfi signoff, for liability only.

Hook up with Mike Seager. I bet he can come up with a strategy to get you checked out and into that airplane. This ain't his first rodeo.