RV4er

Well Known Member
I'm trying to get my canopy restraint system worked out. Any pictures or ideas would be appreciated.

Here's my solution. It may not be obvious from the pic that when the canopy is closed the bar lies in a horizontal position between bulkhead and roll bar. Let me know if you want more detail.
frontmt4.jpg

rearcr3.jpg

Last edited:
Hold me back!

Tim,

First, thanks to Steve for the link to the past posts. Six months ago this was a hot topic on this site and alot of threads were out there.
Again, here are some pictures of my setup, this after many trial and errors over a 10 year period. The pin sliding through the canopy bulkhead (.030 doubler plate added) works great on hot days and prevents the canopy from departing the airplane in the odd event of an inadvertent opening. The hold-open strut is available at NAPA aviation departments worldwide!

Good Luck!

Rob Ray

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks fellows for your help. I plan to get it hammered out this weekend. The rope has got to go.

eject eject !!!

FWIW:

I have what appears to be the same strut as Rob. However, the top screw faces the other way (nut on the front side). The nut is always loose, almost off. If I ever wanted to eject the canopy, I need to remember to pop off the strut at the top and then, let 'er rip.

I hope I never have to.

John

Here is a sequence of photos showing the motion of my canopy restraint system during closure. The arms stow out of the way between the roll bar and canopy bulkhead. They are made from 3/4 inch aluminum angle 1/8 inch thick. In the open position the canopy arms are slightly over-center so that a strong wind will not close it. The arms can not move in the reverse directions because of the stop at the knee.

Any dogs around?

This is my version:
Just take the entrails of an automatic "dog-line" (don't know the correct word..) and fabricate a nice-looking housing for it. It will roll up the string automatically, looks clean, costs are low and works great. If the inner pulley fails the string can't come out if there are 2-3 knots, just make the hole smaller than the knots. The benefit is that this WILL tear off in case off an emergency, but it adds some weight (as well as struds).
Cheers, Dirk

canopymod.jpg

my.php

got mine at Home Depot, called a Non-Adjustable Lid Support, two for less than $5. Drill out rivets on end, reinforce bolt hole for canopy, and bolt together. Have other pics but couldn't figure out how to send all. Feel free to email at [email protected].