Lionclaw

Well Known Member
My wings will be shipping in a few weeks and I wanted to get a head start on pitot/static and lighting options...

I spent a few hours today reading through old posts seeing what others have done with their pitot/static, and I was hoping I could get some feedback and answers with regard to my own plans.

My current plans include a dynon aoa heated pitot connected to a safeair1 mast and piped through to an MGL Odyssey, steam ASI, and steam altimeter.

Should I also get the safeair1 pitot/static and aoa plumbing kits? Does Vans offer an alternative I should consider?

Where do people usually mount the static ports? Is there a good reason to use more than one?

Finally, anyone have any experience with the dynon aoa on the enigma? Any other product recomendations or suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Vans has a designated location for static ports (to within 1/16") on the sides of the rear fuse. I used the Vans static kit and am happy with it. I see little reason to buy the higher priced option for static air. I just installed the Gretz heated pitot and am happy with it too, though apparently Gretz gets a little backed up on orders occasionally.

I have the dynon EFIS with a steam altimeter and A/S indicator. I used Van's static kit, and the SAFEAIR1 pitot and AOA plumbing kit. I will tell you that the SAFEAIR kit is very easy to install, and I also used their quick disconnect setup at the wing/fuselage junction. The way I did it didn't use any of the kits on their website exactly, but they were very helpful and offered me a good deal via email. Send them an email, tell them what you want to do, and see what kind of deal they'll make you.

Good luck, Mark

My set up has the D100 and an AS & Altimeter on the panel. In back, I surface mounted the SafeAir1 static ports.

As for running the AOA and pitot lines up the wing, I put two snap bushings in each rib but did not use the SA1 connectors as they leaked in my installation. YMMV

Initally I thought I would splice the lines at the fuselage but I'm glad I did not do that. Aft of the spar there is VERY LITTLE room between the fuselage and wing rib, maybe an inch. There is no way my big hands would allow me to make any type of connetion in that limited space. Thus, I installed the tubes in the wing and left them long, very long, same goes for the wires. Once the wings were installed, I ran the tubes through the fuselage, up the center, and to the instruments. If the wings ever come off, I will pull the tubes all the way back from the panel but IF I ever remove the wings, I will have much bigger things to think worry about.

I bought the SA1 pitot mount and didn't use it. The Gretz mount was much better, IMHO. The Gretz mount allows you to adjust the pitot by shimming it with washers, should your airspeed read high or low and you can get it chromed.

Last edited: