jcmcdowell

Well Known Member
For those of us that can't make the 'big' trip to Osh. Can I get a hands on report of the MGL Avionics preview of the Odyssey EFIS?

How does it look, resolution, touch/feel? A picture would be nice if possible.

Sport Flying Shop
Booths 2157/2158
Hangar B

Does it compare to the Dynon/Grt Resolution for comparisons sake?

Thanks to anyone that can provide feedback.

Definite Interest

Yes please! I'm sure there are 1 or 2 of us very interested in this. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

jcmcdowell said:
A picture would be nice if possible.
Sport Flying Shop
Booths 2157/2158
Hangar B
Thanks to anyone that can provide feedback.
mgloshkoshqs2.jpg

Picture by Matt. Odyssey and VHF COM radio on stand: bottom right.

Last edited:
look and feel

jcmcdowell said:
Any feedback- how does it look?

Didn't touch but the graphics looked a bit low res to me.
They have also canceled their plans to release a low level API so all you programers can start looking somewhere else for a hardware platform.....

They did not give a good reason for the policy change when I asked.

that thing is HUGE!

wow- that screen is huge.

anyone touch and feel it- how does it roll through the screens?

Rest assured, we have not given up or canceled anything.

The lawyers have come into play !
Due to legalities, we need to seperate third party software and our own completely.
The API of FlightOps, as a result, will only be made available to a few selected companies.
However, there is better news on the horizon:
I am investigating Windows CE as well as Linux as operating system for guys that want to roll their own software.
This will be made available on Odyssey, Voyager and Enigma XL.
Due to the intelligent boot loader you will be able to run our own FlightOps applications or your own (or perhaps some stuff written by third parties).
Using a standard operating system makes it much easier for the budding EFIS software developer to develop an EFIS or some other system just the way he wants it.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

jdeas said:
Didn't touch but the graphics looked a bit low res to me.
They have also canceled their plans to release a low level API so all you programers can start looking somewhere else for a hardware platform.....

They did not give a good reason for the policy change when I asked.

Thanks for the photos...

Nicol, Rainier

Can you show some tighter shots with fingers on buttons for a size reference?

When are you expecting to start shipping Odysseys to the US market?

When are you expecting the Nav/com to hit the market?

Last edited:
jcmcdowell said:
Nicol, Rainier

You want to see my fingers ? That is a new one :D
Seriously, the only Odyssey in existence is at Oshkosh and that is well over 10.000 miles from where I am typing this (unfortunately - I'd love to be there).
Size of a button is about the size of an index finders nail, perhaps just smaller.

jcmcdowell said:
When are you expecting to start shipping Odysseys to the US market?

PCB population is scheduled for start September which should see first shipments end of September/beginning of October. The final PCB designs and mechanics are being produced now. All exactly on schedule.

jcmcdowell said:
When are you expecting the Nav/com to hit the market?

Early 2008. The NAV part is completely digital done in software (DSP) so it should be quick to do, also exceptionaly low cost.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Sounds good....

I was looking for a frame of reference picture- it's easier to compare apples to apples with someone pushing buttons related to product size related to screen size...

It's hard to tell the 'relationship' of the odyssey to say the enigma to the dynon to the GRT to the AFS systems.

I've touched the others, but not the MGL stuff. I have a feel for how the others 'might' work in flight- since I can't make OSH a picture of someone pressing buttons is the next best thing.

Looking forward to seeing more from MGL...

Odyssey size...

jcmcdowell said:
I was looking for a frame of reference picture- it's easier to compare apples to apples with someone pushing buttons related to product size related to screen size...

It's hard to tell the 'relationship' of the odyssey to say the enigma to the dynon to the GRT to the AFS systems.
Does this help?

http://www.jen-rick.com/215rj/images/forumposts/EFIS_Size_Compare.png

(from post by Rick Mellor http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=18484&page=2&highlight=odyssey)

Last edited:
"I am investigating Windows CE as well as Linux as operating system for guys that want to roll their own software.
This will be made available on Odyssey, Voyager and Enigma XL.
Due to the intelligent boot loader you will be able to run our own FlightOps applications or your own (or perhaps some stuff written by third parties).
Using a standard operating system makes it much easier for the budding EFIS software developer to develop an EFIS or some other system just the way he wants it."

[x] ...one vote for Linux or BSD...

(makes the licensing problems easier too)

ronlee said:
Does it have an integral DVD player?

For system setup of course.

No.
This is not a PC.
Both operating system and application are highly efficient and in fact can be installed fully automatically from the SD card in just a few seconds without you even touching anything (just insert a new version/update, and the system takes care of the rest).
An internal, high speed solid state disk stores data like screen files, maps, nav data and so on. The SD card is used mainly to transfer data.

The only thing we don't mind spinning are Gyros....

Rainier

Odyssey with hands...

jcmcdowell said:
odysseyimgsmallll9.jpg

Note: this photo was NOT taken in a studio (you can't even see the numbers printed on the left hand keypad - they are there!). It is a real shot of the prototype standing at Oshkosh. The photo was taken to provide a size reference as requested...

For a higher resolution version of the same photo... (click on thumbnail below)

Last edited:
YES YES on both counts...WOW

The comparative pict and the big picture really help get a sense of the graphics and the size.

You can get a much better sense of the price value when you compare to a BMA or GARMIN setup with similar screen size.

I was worried about the pixel size on the odyssey, but it looks good from the big picture.

QUESTION:
In order to get the EFIS to function with attitude and compass you MUST buy the Odyssey AND the AHRS unit? GPS is integral, EIS w.o sensors is integral.

Is that correct?

Question about autopilot

The Odessey looks terrific. How well will it integrate with the TruTrak autopilots. I'm thinking of going with the Digiflight II VSGV or Sorcerer.

Thanks.

jcmcdowell said:
The comparative pict and the big picture really help get a sense of the graphics and the size.

You can get a much better sense of the price value when you compare to a BMA or GARMIN setup with similar screen size.

I was worried about the pixel size on the odyssey, but it looks good from the big picture.

As I have mentioned many times, we have a somewhat different approach to using LCD screens. These are not normal screens which is why they look so good. Our prime aim is to provide a screen that you can read under a bubble canopy with full, UV laden dessert conditions sunlight falling directly onto the panel from any angle. In addition, another sticky point is when you are flying directly into the sun and are partly blinded - you must still be able to view the panel (even if you can hardly make out anything else).
To achieve this a new set of rules comes into play. Pixel size is the determining factor here, not how many pixels you have. Look at a modern, large LCD HDTV screen. Looks nice does it not ? But the resolution is not that great - however, it's got big pixels ! What matters here is viewing distance vs. pixel size. Apply the same to an EFIS, throw in a good polarizer, limit your viewing angle to where it matters (so you don't waste precious light), use good light director and diffuser films and a couple of things more - the result is a picture that looks like you can eat it.

jcmcdowell said:
QUESTION:
In order to get the EFIS to function with attitude and compass you MUST buy the Odyssey AND the AHRS unit? GPS is integral, EIS w.o sensors is integral.

Is that correct?

Not quite,
The EIS, strickly speaking, is an external unit and you can choose which ones fit your application best. We have versions for piston and turbine engines and you can fit two if you need to monitor a twin engined aircraft (all of them are very inexpensive)
The main reason for the external unit however is that we don't want you to bring all your engine probes to the EFIS (that is so yesterday). The engine monitor box (we call it an RDAC), lives in the engine bay and all probes terminate here. From there just a single wire goes to the back of the EFIS. Neat, quick and easy.

Our compass is external (for obvious reasons) so is the AHRS (perhaps less obvious). Reasons: Not all applications require an AHRS and you can save yourself a lot of money if you don't need one (That makes Odyssey and especially Enigma real cheap). On the other hand, it also gives you choices. How good an AHRS do you need ? Occasional dip through the clouds OK ? You can use a low cost one. Want serious IMC flying ? You need to spend a little more. Want to fly aerobatics at high rates of rotation using the AHRS to fly precision manouvers ? You need our aerobatics AHRS.
You see, everywhere you look in Odyssey, it's about flexibility. You build aircraft because you want to do that. You most likely LOVE doing that. Why stop at the EFIS ? Those screens you see on Odyssey are not cast in stone, they are completely user designable using an easy screen designer tool. You can start with a blank screen (you have nine of them) and go mad.

This is experimental aviation at its best.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Last edited:
dhusk said:
The Odessey looks terrific. How well will it integrate with the TruTrak autopilots. I'm thinking of going with the Digiflight II VSGV or Sorcerer.

Thanks.

I don't have personal experience with the Trutrack. We have been working very tightly with Trio and this works very well. However, the autopilot interface uses standard NMEA messages so any autopilot that can use a GPS as source will work just fine with Odyssey.
In addition Odyssey has ARINC as standard so you can connect that as well. This you will need for the Trutrack if you want a bit of vertical navigation as well.
There are most likely Enigma's flying with Trutrack but unfortunately I don't know personally of any.
I did contact Trutrack some time ago but they did not seem very enthusiastic - unlike Trio who have impressed me greatly by taking an Enigma and test flying it themselves.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

NICE Feature

I really like the engine monitor box on the firewall one wire to the panel idea.

Also, your unit just looks sweet.

Thanks for the comment. Much appreciated.
BTW, all our combined panel instruments have been using the remote engine monitor idea since about 2002, first released with our Stratomaster Extreme.

Mike S said:
I really like the engine monitor box on the firewall one wire to the panel idea.

Also, your unit just looks sweet.