N131RV

Well Known Member
Hi all. I've been commuting to Houston (Cypress) from Elmendorf for the last 3 years or so. The company I contract with is moving their headquarters from Jones Road (NW Side) to San Felipe (West side).

Normally I fly into KEYQ (Weiser) where I keep an old beater car and make the 5 minute drive to work.

Well, it's more like an hour from EYQ to 5599 San Felipe so I have been looking for alternate places to land.

These come to Mind:

KTME (Houston Executive) 29.5 miles (40 minute drive)
KIWS( West Houston) 18 miles (31 minutes)
KAXH (Southwest Houston) 20 miles (37 minutes)
O07 (Westheimer) 21.2 miles (26 minutes).
KSGR (Sugarland) 17.8 miles (28 minutes).

So I'm just looking for information on these airports (or any others close by) from anyone with first hand experience. Contact names and numbers greatly appreciated.

KAXH was super friendly when I called on the phone.

Haven't been able to get hold of the PTB at the others yet.

I'm looking for a friendly place to park my airport car (full time) and tie down my RV7 (between two and three times a week). I need to buy gas in Houston since I don't have any at my home field. I'm willing to pay reasonable fees if necessary. I use about 60 gallons per week.

If there is a reasonable hangar option, I am all ears. Renting tie down is also agreeable.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Ahhh.. Schlumberger... GeoQuest maybe?

I spent several years in that building.

EYQ is definately the closest airport to 5599 San Felipe. But the only problem is that you have to deal with 290. That can be a pain.

Westheimer would be okay because you can jump on the Westpark Tollway and be right into the 5599 San Felipe Area fairly quickly. But the airport leaves a lot to be desired and I'm not real sure about fuel being available there or not. I'm guessing ~20 minutes in rush hour.

West Houston is a pretty good option. I'd rate it highest on the list. Maybe ~20-25 minutes. The airport is well equipped and busy too.

Sugarland is great choice, you can be at 5599 in ~25 minutes. First class airport all the way around. It's designed for corporate travelers more than anything though. That's where I fly out of.

Houston Southwest seems way out of the way and the airport isn't that great.

I'd stay away from Houston Executive too, simply because you'd have to spend too much time on I-10.

If I could pick my own, I'd probably go with KSGR first and KIWS next.

TME

TME has easy access to I-10 and Westpark toll. Barker Cypress is under construction north of I-10. The traffic on Barker Cypress is horrible at rush hour.

I kept the baron at IWS and moved it to TME. From downtown I can get to TME just as quick as IWS due to the traffic on Barker Cypress and the proximity of TME to I-10.

Pros:
TME will let you keep your car there
Fuel is cheaper.
Not in Class B
GPS approaches on both ends.

Do not go to Westheimer