20foxtrot

Help! Whacked my left elevator on hangar I-beam. Ouch! Looking for a replacement with trim tab that I can repair (or one that doesn't need repair) while I continue to fly my wounded bird. I live in the Houston, TX area. Thanks, Gene

I have one, Gene...

....and the workmanship is fair...about a 7. Actually, have both elevators and a fin.

There is no hole on the elevator for a trim motor or pushrod and if you can work around that, maybe it'll do. It's new, never installed or flown...unpainted.

email is pierrejs at bellsouth dot net, make reasonable offer.

Best,

Hi Gene,
I built one that I was not satisfied with and called Van's to order material to make another one. I was advised that the RV-8 elevator was the same and they came already assembled. I purchase one and it fit fine. I don't remember the cost.
Tom

RV-4 Elevator/TT

Tom,
Contacted van's about an assembled unit for an RV-8; Scott said they couldn't help. In your case I guess they were helping out one of their builders which I am not---yet.
Thanks again, Gene

I am really surprised that the RV-4 elevator is the same as one for an -8! I know that Van likes to re-use assemblies and parts between models (and think its a great idea), but I didn't know these two are identical - is it true?

If that is the case Gene, one option is that you buy the parts and one (or many) of the builders in the area could help you put it together. A prepunched elevator and trim tab would not take long to put together in a well-equipped workshop.

Paul

Rv-4 elevator/TT

That's what Tom says they sent him built. An RV-8 elevator even in kit form would be the way to go. Let me get back with Van's.
Gene

Size Matters

Guys,
Wow, news to me. I thought the big improvement in the RV8 was a larger Horizontal in both span and chord, at least when I compare my Rocket elevators (RV4) with my neighbors RV8. The easiest comparison is the counterbalance which on the RV4 goes all the way to the leading edge of the horizontal stab. When you do replace, go with .020 skin.

Smokey
HR2

PS: I need one too!

Last edited:
RV-4 Elevator/TT

Yeah. My minds eye tells me the 8 is a much larger airplane and the tail is no exception.
Gene
Angleton, Tx

RV-4 Elevator/TT

Guys,
Got a reply on the RV-4 vs. RV-8 elevator today from Joe Blank @ Van's.
The 4 and 8 are quite different. I have concluded that best thing to do is re-skin existing elevator. Since it is not pre-punched, rivet holes on elevator front spar must be in exactly same position as original. I talked with professional builder and he wanted the original elevator spar as a pattern if he built a new one. Looks like I'll have a little downtime.
Gene
Angleton, TX

RV-4 Elevator/TT

Gene,
I don't know what I was thinking. My problem was with an aileron, I don't know where I got elevator. Sorry for putting you through the trouble of calling Van's. In case anyone needs to know, the ailerons are exchangeable.
Tom