kentb

Well Known Member
I have given my Mom a ride in my Cessna 172 and by using a step ladder she could get in an out OK. She would love to get a ride in my new plane (RV9A) Tip-up. I think that I could get her up on the wing with the same step ladder and get her into the seat by sliding down.
I can't figure out how I am going to get her back out again. She doesn't have much strength in her arms and legs to push up with. She is 83 years old and weighs about 150 lbs.
Anyone dealt with this issue before? She sure would like to get that RV grin.

Kent

Kent,
All I can think of is a sling seat with a lift, or an airbag to help boost her up.
I've seen many seats for lifting folks into baths and whirlpools etc. Try google.
Howie

Kent:
You need to think about how safe this might be in the event of any unforeseen problem. I had the same issue with my mother - she flew in my 210 but never made it into my RV
Terry

I think Howie has the right approach.

Example http://www.landfallnavigation.com/sccbc.html

Looks like you could also use an engine hoist to slide under the airplane and lower someone into the seat pretty handily.

Clearly you're out on a limb when flying reduce mobility folks around. But assuming they know the risk, I say go have fun! Also, keep the g's low. Some older folks aren't as tollerant to the load factors.

Last edited:
same here

I have a similar issue with my 80 yo mom. Getting in my -9A slider would be a whole lot easier than getting out due to lack of strength and practically nothing to grab on to.
One of my Oshkosh pax had a tough time getting out of the plane. He had a new knee about 10 years ago. He's about 60 these days. His upper body strength has waned and his girth has grown. It was kinda sad wathching him struggle to get out, not to mention trashing my interior. I had to burst his RV builder bubble and steer him toward building a plane with a door or keep renting 172s.
Fact of life, RVs are not for everyone.

Steve

Thanks for the replies.

I like the bosun's chair idea. I think that two people assisting with a pole between them (one on the wing and the other in the pilot seat) and the chair suspended from the pole might just work.

In the event of a forced landing, you can never tell how mobile either of us will be.:(

Kent

Kent,

The bosun's chair idea sounds good. I had this problem about a month ago with an 81 year old guy--had no trouble getting in but really struggled to get out. He took off his shoes, I took out the right stick and he turned sideways and I helped under his arms. It worked, although it was VERY awkward.

Back when I was a kid, I flew with a guy who was in a wheelchair. He had a rope ladder in his hangar and pulled himself up and into his Ercoupe. He would taxi out and have someone push the plane back in after he flew. I pushed that plane back into the hangar many times. I guess it depends on how much you want to fly...

I keep a step stool in the hangar and may just suspend a rope from the ceiling, now that I think of it. It could be easier on the interior.

Bob Kelly

I worked in a hospital many moons ago - pick her up from under her arms and she'll be fine. I'd just find a couple of brawny young men who are looking to earn a free RV ride......