DMarcum

I'm New Here
I'm new here this is my first post so be kind. :D The wife & I are looking at building a new home on a few acres. I would like any info I can get on building a small prvt airfield ( grass ).

Daniel Marcum
Future pilot & plane builder

D

I have my own grass strip that is 105' wide x 1836' long. The rules in Illinois state that you have to have 75' wide and 1600' long to get certifide as a RLA (Restricted landing area). First thing I would recommend is contacting your department of transportation to find out what regulations you need. things like glide slope clearances on all four sides. thresholds, markings etc..... Illinois DOT has a nice booklet for the individuals to follow, your state may as well. You have to plant the grass and all and then they will inspect it. It isn't hard to get a RLA signed off, just remember you are dealing with the government and it does take time. They will land at your strip,suppose to be the first to land, and verify everything that you submit for the RLA. My inspector was real nice and wanted to look at the RV more than the strip, I guess if they landed OK that was good enough for them.

Good Luck

N375JS, IL regs changed...

Have a good friend who had his 75' x 2000' grass strip inspected, they would not pass it as now they require them to be 100' wide. Only other thing was a tree on one side approach that was closer than he wanted it, has to be cut down. (no big deal though, as it was a scrub tree along a creek) But was not waivering on the 100' width. My friend thougth all was well, because he built the strip two years ago, and it was according to the rules, only got around to having it inspected this spring, and they had changed the regs by then.

Daniel,
No size limitations in Texas. My strip is 25' by 1500' in Farmersville, TX. northeast of DAllas. (ShortStop (8TA5).
TXDot is very easy to deal with. FAA is concerned only if you are within 10 miles of an airport with an instrument approach. I opened my strip in 1990 but I don't think the rules have changed.

Landing Strips

It really depends on how much land you have (in TEXAS) if it's not a published strip you can land anywhere you want on a farm. Many farms have unpublished private strips.