rv9aviator

Well Known Member
I need to add one wire to my Garmin GTX 327 transponder rear connector.
The connector is a Cannon connector but looks like any other 25 pin flat connector except instead of having screws to remove the shell it is a sheet metal shell with bent over tabs. I have no idea why it is made this way but looks like the only way to separate the halves is to unbend the tabs and take it apart. I guess I just need someone to tell me it's OK to unbend the tabs and proceed. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
The connector is a Cannon connector but looks like any other 25 pin flat connector except instead of having screws to remove the shell it is a sheet metal shell with bent over tabs. I have no idea why it is made this way but looks like the only way to separate the halves is to unbend the tabs and take it apart. I guess I just need someone to tell me it's OK to unbend the tabs and proceed. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

If you undo the connecting screws and clamps, you should be able to slide the connector shell back along the harness. You can then thread the new wire through the opening in the shell. Crimp on a new pin before or after threading through the shell (whichever looks easier). Then insert the pin into the connector body, slide the shell back up snug and secure,

GTX327 Connector

Jim,

You shouldn't have to bend any tabs to insert a new pin/wire into your connector. I may be misunderstanding your comment, but to bend the tabs being pointed to with the red arrows in this picture (where the two halves come together) would dissassemble the connector in a manner for which it is not designed.
GTX327Connector.jpg

If you need to extract an empty pin (or install a new one), the installation manual (section 3.2) identifies the pin extractor, crimper and positioner you will need to use. Appendix B includes an assembly diagram for the connector and backshell.

For 22 AWG wire, you will need a M81969/1-02 extractor and a Daniels AFM-8 crimper with K13-1 positioner (or equivalent).

Let me know if you have questions.

Steve

Last edited: