DanWright

Well Known Member
I have reviewed sections 31b pages 20-21 and 42D-03 and have some questions:
  • How much should I leave in the avionics area?
  • How much should I leave for the aft section?
  • Is the splice really necessary if I have enough of the tubing?

At this time the tail cone is not attached so I have room to work.

Thanks

Dan

Tubing is cheap. I want out and bought all new tubing and installed it like a new installation. I did not want to deal with any splices. Once you put your fuel tank in it will be hard to go back and check for leaks.

Leave about 2 feet extra at the top of the tailcone and you can trim to fit. I have not done the firewall forward yet, but I have plenty of extra.

I took a lot of pictures so check out my build site

The tubing used from the pitot tube to behind the firewall is a special high temperature tubing. If you deviate from the construction manual and replace it with any old poly tubing, it may cause you problems

I remember being somewhat confused as to if I selected the correct tubing from my shelf when I installed it. How does the firewall-forward tubing compare visually to the tailcone tubing?

Scott,

The heat issue is a good catch. I'll have to test each to see if I have a problem. I may end up with a splice after all.

ct

I remember being somewhat confused as to if I selected the correct tubing from my shelf when I installed it. How does the firewall-forward tubing compare visually to the tailcone tubing?

I can't remember the appearance differences (they are quite similar though), but the high temp tubing is delivered with a part # sticker that matches what is called out in the plans (and is only long enough to reach from the pitot tube to the instrument panel).

In my case I think the sticker had come off - but there was only one piece of tubing on the shelf that was pre-cut to that plans length and I used that.