mkmuch

I am at a loss for a good N#.

It seems like everyone i try is reserved or taken - I am running out of creative formula's and have now reverted to ones that just sound good - but lack a story or a meaning.

Thoughts or ideas to try?:confused:

Go for short simple numbers...... they are easy to say and easy to punch in at the gas pump.

I found these N8810 N5510 N710MM N410MM

Last edited:
Try this

Mike,
I don't know if you have already tried this, but it worked for me. First, go to this site: http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNAV_inquiry.asp
There, you can enter one or two trailing letters and ranges of initial numbers to see what is available. I went to the site and entered MM as trailing letters and 100-999 as initial numbers. I pulled up scores of available N numbers with your initials. The available pool of three digit numbers should render at least one significant candidate (a birth date, anniversary, etc.). If you want a "10" in the tail number, then N710MM is available (a lucky 10 for Mike Much). Just hop on the site one night when you can't get to sleep and you will be surprised at what you will find. I am building an 8A and one sleepless night I found N888SV (the letters are for Steve and Vicki, my wife and rivet bucker).
Have fun,

I like duplicate letters

I like duplicate ending letters. When ATC is handling a lot of traffic, it is easier to hear your call sign stand out. N710MM would be nice and if it's your initials, even better.

My old plane ended with foxtrot romeo and often I got a notice from ATC that there were similiar sounding call signs (ie: romeo foxtrot).

My 2 cents.

I have a plane that ends in JJ. Juliet Juliet is 6 syllables and it is cumbersome at best. It is easy to hear when ATC calls you though, I'll give you that. Around my home airport I just say "3JJ". Use letters that have just 1 or 2 syllables if you can.

Triple n

I've been listening to the tower while working on my plane. When ever I hear a call sign that's "triple something", I think it sounds good and is makes for an easy call.

So I'd rather have triple 5 RA then my current 557RA.

From an ATC perspective, we can't say Triple 7 (at least we aren't supposed to) therefore the callsign for us would be seven seven seven, which sucks. The easiest ones for me to pick up are typically 2 number 2 letter signs such as N84BN or N60YX. Easy to remember. Any time you have 4 letters/numbers combo other than that (Like Dan's N714D) ATC has a tendancy to feel that they are missing something (N714D what? N714DN would feel more complete to me :) )

The Triple number callsigns are somewhat easy to remember, but never easy to say one one one mike golf is very low on syliables, but still awkward at best.

40BF was the one I picked out for no apparent reason...

Here's mine

When I was student pilot with only 13 hours my rental became unavailable. I bought a '59 C172 which I did my first solo in, the rest of my training and checkride, and rolled up about 830 hrs in. It was 6128E. After trying to get 174__ (fill in the blanks) I settled on 728E. After contact with ATC they usually use only your last three digits so now I have an RV7(A) but I'm still known as "28E". Worked for me!

More suggestions

Wish I'd known about the other N search site when I was trying to find mine.:(

I like the ones that flow off the tounge, I can remember, and tell a story (which usually helps me remember it). If you like golf...maybe 10 for Mike Golf (104MG). How about 10 for Mike Yankee; Both are available. If you are in the service, 10 for Uniform Mike. If you are into Ham Radios...10 for Echo Papa?

Have fun! :D

AF_Alan
RV-9A Fuse
N984AW Reserved

Similar here

My RV is N168TX. (EAA Chapter 168 and I forget what the TX stands for.) But I have N68TX reserved for the Bi-plane. So, I'll still be 8TX.

I going to go with cool sounding letters for the end like:
"Whiskey-Bravo", "Charlie-Bravo", "Whiskey-Pappa", "Pappa-Charlie"

Names like "Golf", "Hotel", "Juliet", "Lima" and "Uniform" just don't cut it for me.

That said, now it's time for numbers. I'm going to go with repeating numbers:
"828", "727" "262", etc...
I think an aircraft number like "828 Pappa-Charlie" is easier for a tower guy to remember and just fun to say. Hmmm, I bet that one is already gone.

Then go to the FAA N number website and put in the two letters and a number range from 000 to 999. You find something cool:
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNAV_inquiry.asp

RE: Help with N#

I agree with the posts that N#s ending with the same apha/numeric makes "listening up" easier. My N# is 65XX, I've had more controllers stumble over "5 Xray Xray" (say that 5 times at controller speed) and have to repeat the call. I can say without too much streching of the truth that I have hardly ever missed the call. I've even had one guy in Albuquerque Center stumble over the call sign and say "Dos Exes". If I had it to do over again I would try 9XXX. Dan.

I need help too!

I'm kind of in the same boat.

I've been thinking that it might be important to me to have a number that ends in "9xx", like N559AB. This would be so that, after initial contact, I could abbreviate my radio call to "Ar Vee Niner Alpha Bravo" Cool because it's an RV-9, but not so easy to say..... of course it depends on what else you choose and what your last two letters are (for me, my initials, so N__9DG)

How important do others think it is to put your RV "type number" in your callsign, third from the end?

Last edited:
I'm kind of in the same boat.

How important do others think it is to put your RV "type number" in your callsign, third from the end?

I don't know about important but I went that route with Black Magic...727BM 7 for RV-7 BM for Bravo Mike, Bowel Movement or Black Magic depending on location, location, location;)

I really like that "BM" idea, Dana. The only thing is that I might have a senior moment and say something like:

"County Traffic, Experimental 727 Bowel Movement over Mid-field".

Then watch the folks in the static area scatter like roaches.

moo!

Smitty, for you it would be "Bovine Movement" :D

BTW - hurry and and pull ahead of me. I'm making too many mistakes without having your website to review before building...

This drove me nuts for the longest time, I tried all sorts of different combo's, things I thought would be special. Then I tried the #'s that would relate to the kids and/or wife. Everything was taken!! Finally I just put my birthday in with RV and it took. That's all she wrote, lol

If you're single

If single, ### Hotel Romeo might be appropriate.

My painter kept threatening me he was going to put U812 on mine.

232BS is available. Then you could be 2BS on the shortened call.

Seriously, 710MM is available. There's your 10 and initials. It's also not hard to pronounce.

Last edited:
N Number Reserved

Well, after a year and a half, I finally came up with N70AH. I think when I paint it on the plane it will look like this:
___RV_______
N70AH

Not sure if the different colors are legal, I need to look into that. In any event, I'm pretty happy with it!

Wow! Awesome response...

Thanks Team... I never expected this much input - wow thanks... I like N710MM... Just might be sold...

BTW - Sorry for the late reply - I have been traveling for work - had to blow up a Predator unmanned aircraft with a prototype of the latest GQM-163 Coyote for the Navy. Success...

Going to what will be one of the last Shuttle Launches February 12th @ the Cape. Shuttle Discovery. Our Engines and and Shuttle... (since it was built we sold to Boeing).

Some Fun Facts below...

Date: Feb. 12 +
Mission: STS-119
Launch Vehicle: Space Shuttle Discovery
Launch Site: Kennedy Space Center - Launch Pad 39A
Description: Space shuttle Discovery launching on assembly flight 15A, will deliver the fourth starboard truss segment to the International Space Station.

Of course, there are no guarantees that it will launch, as it highly dependent on weather and technical issues.

Here on some factoids on the Space Shuttle:
Rockwell International Space Systems Division (now Boeing) Built the Space Shuttle Orbiters (i.e., Discovery, Columbia, etc.)
Went into service in the early 1980's
Rockwell International Rocketdyne Division (now Boeing) Built the Space Shuttle Main Engines (3 black cones at back of orbiters)
Each one is capable of lifting 450K pounds
Shuttle lifts 1.5M pounds of payload total
Fueled by liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen
Hydrogen turbo pump can drain a large swimming pool in ~30 seconds
Rockwell Collins Built the Communications Systems

:D:D

Last edited:
From an ATC perspective, we can't say Triple 7 (at least we aren't supposed to) therefore the callsign for us would be seven seven seven, which sucks. The easiest ones for me to pick up are typically 2 number 2 letter signs such as N84BN or N60YX. Easy to remember. Any time you have 4 letters/numbers combo other than that (Like Dan's N714D) ATC has a tendancy to feel that they are missing something (N714D what? N714DN would feel more complete to me :) )

Yay! I guess I guessed good with 72KH ;-)

poll results so far...

N # for my 10 - Here are the leading ideas?
N692MD (anniversary + initials)(0)
N710MM (lucky 7 - 10 MIke Mike)(4) 44%
N871TW (sounds cool & significant date / initials)(1) 11%
N512DR (wife's b-day and initials)(3) 33%
N729ES (oldest b-day + initials of my younger two)(1) 11%

9 total votes since 01/12/09

Of course, there are no guarantees that it will launch, as it highly dependent on weather and technical issues.

I'll try to get it off the pad for you Mike. Early morning launch - thunderstorms shouldn't be a problem. Think nice things about temp/dewpoint spreads and calm winds, and we'll give you a show!

Paul

It's Official - N710MM wins

I just slapped my $10 bucks down... Thanks...

Lucky #7 - 10 MM

RV November seven one zero mike mike

:cool:

You can find a unique number...N2C

On the FAA's website. I stayed at it quite a bit on FAA.gov, over several days, checking numbers and lo and behold 2C looked like it was available and had a purge date listed two days ahead. I called out to the FAA in Oklahoma, got a very nice lady on the line, told her I had a special number I wanted to try to get and what should I do. She told me to log on to the FAA website just before midnight central time, of the day of the purge date, get all the info filled out on the application and hit the send button a few seconds after midnight cetntral time. It's first come, first served. I did that and about two weeks later I got a notice in the mail that I now owned 2C. That was about three years ago, since then I have probably had a dozen inquiries on whether I would part with the number. One guy offered my $5000. I'm holding onto it. I hope to have my plane flying sometime in 2009.

Don...

E-Bay it

On the FAA's website. I stayed at it quite a bit on FAA.gov, over several days, checking numbers and lo and behold 2C looked like it was available and had a purge date listed two days ahead. I called out to the FAA in Oklahoma, got a very nice lady on the line, told her I had a special number I wanted to try to get and what should I do. She told me to log on to the FAA website just before midnight central time, of the day of the purge date, get all the info filled out on the application and hit the send button a few seconds after midnight cetntral time. It's first come, first served. I did that and about two weeks later I got a notice in the mail that I now owned 2C. That was about three years ago, since then I have probably had a dozen inquiries on whether I would part with the number. One guy offered my $5000. I'm holding onto it. I hope to have my plane flying sometime in 2009.

Don...

Put it on Ebay with a starting price of $5,000. You might even get your panel paid for.