Rick_A

Well Known Member
I've not been able to get the VOR nav working on my GRT Horizon. The NAV source is a GNS480 but I think set up / knobology should have a lot in common with 430's & 530's.

The 480 tunes in the VOR, I can hear the morse ID and get the VOR identifier showing on the 480. The GRT works as expected when I'm using the GPS as the nav source (selected using the CDI button on the 480).

When I switch to VOR input to the GRT using the CDI button on the 480, the 480 gives me a "FLAGGED" warning in the CDI field. The GRT flashes "SYNC EXT OBS" in red.

I can't get a VOR signal on the ground so I've been trying to figure it out while flying. At this point I don't know if it's my GRT configuration, me hitting the wrong buttons on the GRT or something else altogether.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rick, Record an in flight attempt and send the (short) demo to GRT. From experience, they can put a debugger on it and debug the pin data. I would also be happy to drop by and take a peek at your config on the efis.

On the 480, P2, Pin 18, I believe that's a NAV Indicator OUT which should supply a NAV signal to your EFIS. Is that connected? It should go to GRT MFD #1, B plug, pin 19.

Jim

Don't Need To Use the CDI Button

On the GRT switch the "NAV MODE" from GPS to NAV and your VOR will come alive on the GRT EHSI and the knob will work for changing the radial. The external OBS is the GRT. You will not be able to get the CDI scale on the 480.

Saw your post on the GRT list as well and I have posted there in the files section a copy of my GRT IFR checklist that goes through the set up for different types of approaches.

What data stream are you using to get VOR indication?

Not familiar with the GRT, but with Dynon + HS34 the two ARINC output lines are used for the HSI; one sends GPS info, the other one sends NAV info. In this setup you don't push a button on the 480 to change which one drives the HSI because both data streams are output continuously - you just select which data source is primary on the EFIS.

This page on the Dynon Wiki shows the 480 connections for a Dynon.

There is also a 480 users' group on Yahoo! here. If you join you can access the group files, which includes the latest version of the Installation Manual.

Hope that helps.

Scott, I'll probably take you up on the offer to come by my hanger. I'll look for you when I'm up there.

Jim, I checked my wiring notes and I have the 480 Nav Indicator going to pin 19 and Precision Approach to pin 21 (connector B).

Capflyer and Breister your comments makes me think my button pushing may be wrong. I've been using the 480 CDI button to switch from GPS to VOR. I don't recall having a NAV option under the "NAV Mode" on the GRT. I know I've got the 480 and a GPS2 (a garmin 496). I'll check it out after work tonight.

I don't recall having a NAV option under the "NAV Mode" on the GRT. I know I've got the 480 and a GPS2 (a garmin 496). I'll check it out after work tonight.

When you push one of the soft key buttons the first set of menus pop up, it will be the second from the right, right next to the "Next" button. Since you have two GPS's, you will probably see GPS1, GPS2, NAV. NAV is what you want to select. This basically selects which input is being displayed on the GRT and the source for your current navigation. As stated before, the CDI button on the 480 does nothing. It takes a little practice but you'll get it.

Progress...maybe

Mike, my memory was right in that I did not have a "NAV" option under the Nav Mode pulldown. It took some messing around with the setup options but final found that changing the NAV Mode Source from EXTERNAL to INTERNAL gave me the NAV option under NAV Mode.

I didn't have time for a flight this evening to test it with a VOR signal but hopefully this resolved the problem.

I had used a GRT setup cheat sheet that I found on the GRT yahoo group. It was correct for most of the set up but it showed using External as the NAV source and using the CDI button (this was for a 430).

Seems that I may have spent a lot of time messing with my Archer Nav antenna that may have been OK all along.

Last edited:
Still no joy

Mike, did you set the CDI Select option to "IGNORE" in the 480 setup?

I went flying today, had a good VOR signal but when I switched from GPS1 to NAV on the GRT, the course needle on the GRT's disappeared. The needle would only reappear when I selected a GPS source.

On our HX we had to get the Horizon I HX version 1b+1 software ... Update to fix that issue.

Mike, did you set the CDI Select option to "IGNORE" in the 480 setup?

I went flying today, had a good VOR signal but when I switched from GPS1 to NAV on the GRT, the course needle on the GRT's disappeared. The needle would only reappear when I selected a GPS source.

I have all my setting written down at the hanger so I'll check on it later today and let you know.