flier23

I'm New Here
A close friend of mine is constructing a RV6A slow build. He needs to construct a wing stand for completed wings and cant find the template for leading edge...Can someone who might remember where it is located in plans help? Or better still can someone who might have one help? Thanks

P.S. This probably isnt right place to post would appreciate a redirect.:confused:

Carpet

.....was used on our stand. It has a central frame, about ten feet long and four feet high with six inch wide carpet nailed at the top and then allowed to drape under the leading edges and back up to the side frames which are about two feet above the floor. The carpet naturally just assumes the leading edge shape.

Regards,

Paint consideration

I have a stand like what Pierre is describing and it has worked fine. However, if you anticipate storing painted wings, you might reconsider the design. I am pretty certain that the texture of the straps will imprint uncured paint if left to sit. I think an alternate design would be to cradle the wings by the spar with the leading edge up. Should be easy on the inboard end, and not too difficult to figure something out on the outboard.

A close friend of mine is constructing a RV6A slow build. He needs to construct a wing stand for completed wings......
2ldaj9g.jpg

use a rib

If he has the wing kit, he can use a leading edge rib as a template. If I recall that's what I did for mine, and it looks and works great.

Don't see why you'd need a template, if you have a wing. Just put a piece of cardboard against the end of the wing (or use the fiberglass tip) and trace the airfoil directly on the cardboard:D. For my 6A, instead of using the airfoil and resting the wing on the leading edges, I built the stand to let the spar rest on each end. There is about a 1 1/2" stub on the outboard edge still remaining from the build in the jig. This takes any paint worries out of the picture also, since no painted surfaces are in contact with the stand. Drill a hole thru the spar stub and screw it to the stand to keep it secure. You can make the stand from a couple of 2x4's, no need to cut any complex airfoil shapes as everything is a straight edge.

If you want to store the wing painted, or not.

You could do this.

The pipe and mount for it were from a slide for a outdoor pool that I scrounged. The screws go into two pieces of wood on the inside of the rib. The other end would be supported by the spar.

Kent