Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I'm going to try this again from a slightly different angle on updating a 430 (not a "W"). Time to pull out that box I've so carefully stored in the closet, update, and slide into place next week.

I need the programming cable for updating the datacards.

From what I've been able to find out, I need confirmation this is correct or a correction or info.

The obstacle/terrain card:

#1 - This requires a special cable that cost about 2 bills.
#2 - The special reader was made available to shared, sign up, donate, pass on by VAF members.
#3 - It will work on the O/T data card of a 430 (non "W")
#4 - Low priority since obstacles don't move often and mountains even less. Will get around to it in the next few months.

The navigation database card

#1 - This card requires a different docking connection.
#2 - The docking connections that I have found are as follows:
a - Skybound Adaptor (Garmin card only) $150
b - Skybound USB Connector (3 types of cards) $150
c - Garmin Data Card cable on e-Bay (P/N: 010-10363-00) $25
d - Garmin Mapsource cable - 3/4 moon shaped $50
Which of these work for a 430 (not a 430W)?
#3 - Review of the Garmin site on the 400/500 update cycles, there isn't a selection for the Jeppesen info like there is for a 396. Where do you get the 28 day updates from if not there?
#4 - High priority and I need to get-r-done.

The Readers Digest version:
#1 - What docking conection do you buy for the navigation data card?
#2 - Where do you get the Jeppesen nav update for the 400/500 series?

Help needed for those in the know.
Thanks in advance.

Call Jeppesen.

Their website has been "improved" to the point that I can't find the navdata update page. Basically, you have a number of options, all only through Jeppesen. You can do a one time update through a data card exchange, or a one time update through the internet. Or, you can get a subscription for a year's worth of 28 day cycles, either through the mail or internet. You might even have a quarterly option, I don't recall.

Called

Call Jeppesen.

Their website has been "improved" to the point that I can't find the navdata update page. Basically, you have a number of options, all only through Jeppesen. You can do a one time update through a data card exchange, or a one time update through the internet. Or, you can get a subscription for a year's worth of 28 day cycles, either through the mail or internet. You might even have a quarterly option, I don't recall.

Thanks Alex - I did call both Garmin and Jeppesen.

On the 400/500 series -

Updates for the Navdata come directly from Jeppesen. Bought the cable ($50) and the yearly subscription to the eastern half of the US (includes TX, KS, OK, NE, SD and ND). If I decide to wander out west, I'll update the subscription to pick up that side of the country.