m3tt5

I bought a used kit from Steve Conaway does anybody have his phone number? I did a search and nothing came up. Anyway I bought this kit late last summer and it got it at fall time when I am busy so I am just know checking things out. What all comes with a quik build kit without finish kit? Like does the rudder peddells,seat skins and bracket,instrument panel skin and so on. Just don't look like their is much their. I really do not know where to start I guess and it looks like to get started I need to order something and what would I order first to get started? Do I start on the fuselage or the wings? The tail is almost done but it does not look like all the parts are their for it. Just confused

Parts Lists, Plans, etc.

Each kit comes with parts list (attached to the kit invoice) that lists every part (down to the last nut and bolt). Vans also provides a set of building instructions and full size drawings.

The preview plans ring binder (required before ordering a kit/with the tail kit) contains instructions for the entire plane and smaller copies of the drawings. You should read these thoroughly before doing any work-they really help you understand all the steps required to build the plane.

If these are missing you can buy replacements from Vans. They will register you as the new builder so you can order any missing parts.

Each model RV is different. Your best bet is probably to post a note under the forum for the same model of RV you're building (VAF Forums/RV6 etc.) on this website so that someone building the same model can respond when you have specific questions.

In general builders begin with the tail, then move on to the wings, fuselage, and finish kit in sequence. This lets you start with relatively small (also cheaper!) components and build skills as you go. However, there's nothing wrong with starting on the wings if you think your skills are up to it.

Regards,

Oh ya

Oh ya it is a 7A I thought I had that in their. I do have the preview planes and the list that van send with it. I must be missing parts then. Thats what happens when you buy a used kit.

To further complicat matters...

There are significant differences between RV's of the same model. For example RV-6As have options and design changes that were incorporated over the life of the model. The "Builder Number" is pretty important in tracing this stuff through Van's. If you have that and call them they should be help sort out what you should have. If you don't have that and Mr. Conaway (!) was the original builder they should be able to trace builder number and configuration from that. If you do not have the the preview Plans set (three ring binder) you should make every effort to get one. From that you can read the instructions and verify that each sequential task is complete or not. When you get to a task that is not done that should get you in sync with the normal build order and you can proceed normally.

It really helps to get the hardware identified and segregated for both familiarization and later build efficiency. Most likely hardware is missing but you can buy replacements as you find you need them. Van calls out specific rivet lingths for the solid rivets but you can just but a 1/2 lb of round head 1/8" dia. and a 1/2 lb of flat head 3/32 dia. rivets and a rivet cutter from Aircraft Spruce and take care of most rivet needs.

Bob Axsom

Bob Axsom