sailvi767

Well Known Member
Hi, Have a chance to get away tomorrow and want to make it a flying trip. Anyone have any good suggestions for a overnight within around 250 miles from Charlotte for the wife and I? We have done Okracoke and enjoyed that so other Outerbanks locations or something coastal in SC or GA would work. A nice Mountain destinations might be fun also. Open to any suggestions!!!

George

Senof28

Try Dahlonega, GA Mt Town with active county square.
Jekyll Island, GA Stay at the Jekyll IS Club

I'd vote for Asheville too, we had a good five days there in May.

Beer, bluegrass and the Smokey mountains, and a local culture - the "Keep Asheville Wierd" was my favorite bumper sticker.

The Asheville FBO was expensive and handles your plane for you - I wasn't used to seeing it get towed off to some far out tie-down location...:(

When I go back I will use Hendersonville (0A7) http://www.airnav.com/airport/0A7 and get an Enterprise car from Hendersonville, and fuel at $1 a gallon cheaper.

Asheville airport is 10 miles out of town, so being an extra 8 freeway miles out at Hendersonville is no big deal.

Asheville is a great place but we have driven there often. The Jekyll Island option is looking interesting. The electric cars look fun but a bit pricey. I wish they had fuel at the field but not a deal breaker.

George

1. How about Greenbrier, WV (KLWB)? Only 160 nm from you. Bunker tour is interesting. The resort offers a lot of comfort. You may rent a car or take the shuttle bus.

http://www.greenbrier.com/

27 nm north west is Hot Springs, VA (KHSP) that is the highest airport east of Mississippi.

2. 240 nm is Williamsburg, VA

3. For 290 nm you may visit Nashiville.

We have been to all and enjoy all of them.

Jekyll

George, we and another couple will be at Jekyll on Sunday, around 11:00 a,m, for the finest brunch layout on the East coast, at the Jekyll Island Club....home of the rich and famous J.P. Morgans, Goodyears and so on, from the 1800's. A tuxedo'd musician usually works the baby grand over very well....for your dining enjoyment:)

Richard van Iderstein is a Delta mailing tube driver and owns Red Bug motors. He's become a friend and is very hospitable to Van's RV's.

We'd like to invite other RV'ers to join us there. Lunch for two runs around $30 but the layout, with crablegs, shrimp, roast beef, cheeses of all sorts and a desert section to die for!

Best,

Hi Pierre, I would love to join you but sadly have to work my real job this weekend. We are going to give Jekyll a try today. Leaving Charlotte around noon and spending the night. Should be back tomorrow and will post how it went.
George

The wife and I flew out to Jekyll Island yesterday. Great trip down and back. Smooth all the way there and back which the wife loved. The approach into the airport was a bit interesting with a 20 knot wind 40 to 50 degrees off the runway heading. Took a couple of tries before I was happy enough to let her land. Tailwheels and crosswinds are all new to me however approaching 100 hours in the aircraft it was time to expand my conservative limits a bit.
The Island was great and I really recommend the trip for anyone seeking a overnight. As usual the advice from the forum was spot on. We tried to stay at the Jekyll Island Club but surprisingly they were full with 3 conferences. We did tour the grounds and my wife is already planning a trip back to stay there. We stayed at the Hampton Inn which was fine.
We could not have been treated better at the airport. The owner of Redbug and manager of the airport met us and gave us a great off season deal on the Redbug. We also had lunch at the Redbug Pizza and Car Rental and the Pizza was excellent. We ate dinner at Latitude 31 on the wharf and again the food was great.
Overall if you looking for a overnight that the wife will love head to Jekyll. They really want more airplanes to use the airport and could not have been nicer!!!!!!!
George