rvbuilder1

Hi RV 8ers I am building an RV-4 and I am thinking about making it a RV4A with tri-gear. I built an RV6A in the 90's and measured my main gear leg brackets to see if they would fit in the 4. No such luck. The 6 brackets are 11 1/2 inches wide at the top and will not fit in the 4's slim fuselage. I only have 5 1/2 inches on each side of the center fuselage ribs.
How are the main gear brackets attached in the RV8A. Do they bolt to the spar and to the side wall as they do in the 6A? If they are under 6" wide I could possibly use them with some modifications.

John
[email protected]
Building RV4 empennage
Flying RV6A

Looks like your already flying a 6A, if your proficient in your 6A than all you need for a -4 is a little tail wheel time, keep in mind that if these planes where hard to operate no one would be flying them, they are designed to be easy to operate, if all those other pilots can do it you can to! Also a good landing in a tail wheel plane gives way more satisfaction then in a tri gear. I encourage you to build it with a tail wheel, if you do you will thank me later, if you set on try gear I wish you all the best.

Correct..

Russ is correct John. My buddy has a just-completed -4 with very little TD time so he practices taxiing daily. After a week of getting faster and faster, he got the tail up and found that it felt the same more or less. At almost 45 MPH he decided that it was too close to flying so he backed off.

Some dual will follow shortly.

Good luck,

Maybe your right guys. I just keep thinking of the 15-20 mph crosswind days and being on final with a tri-gear or a tail wheel. Gulp!!!. Is hard enough getting the 6A on the ground. Anyway I was just thinking about it, I will probably build it per plans.
Got the name of a tailwheel instructor recently and will be giving it a whirl soon.
Thanks
John