vmirv8bldr

Well Known Member
About the flaps.

On the inboard side of the flap spar, I have to create a few pieces of bracketry out of sheet and angle stock. These are the FL-406 pieces, A, B, &C. B&C are quite simple and straight forward. A, on the other hand, is a bit more tricky.

It is made from 1"x2"x1/8" angle stock. Quite obviously, this angle stock has a 90 degree angle. (I measured just to be sure.) According to the plans, I somehow have to make this thick piece of angle meet at an 88 degrees instead of 90 degrees.

Any ideas on how to bend this angle stock on the radius?

(Problem is, the radius is the strongest part of the stock, therefore, the natural bend will be 45 degrees from the radius, or, at the root of one flange.)

Has anyone worked this out? Can you please give me some ideas?

Thanks!

Got it...

After speaking with several engineers I work with, one of them had an idea. One that makes you embarassed for not thinking of it yourself.

A shim and a belt sander.

Fits like a charm.

If this bothered you, you're really going to hate the fuse. Wack it with a hammer, if it doesn't work, get a bigger hammer. :eek:

Vice Grip

A neighbor of mine who has built 4 RV's gave me his method. He pads the jaws of his vice with some left over aluminum angle or sheet, then puts the angle stock that needs to be squeezed into the vice and carefully closes the jaws until the ends of the angle are squeezed together just enough to alter the angle from 90 to 88 degrees. I used this method on my flaps and it worked great.

Ahhh, the much celebrated BFH method!

RatMan said:
If this bothered you, you're really going to hate the fuse. Wack it with a hammer, if it doesn't work, get a bigger hammer. :eek:

Thought about that too. I keep hearing that this fear and trepedation that I have needs to eventually wear off.

FWIW, The belt sander worked like a charm, and was probably easier to control, although I think it may actually be 87.947877453746174 degrees.

Thanks!

So with the belt sander did you just remove material from one side of the bracket?
I used both methods mentioned above - the BFH and squeezing it between the jaws of the vise.
OTOH, this angle is not critical to the function of the flap (based on my understanding and d/w Van's) - the main reason there is an angle is to allow you to get your finger back behind the bracket to install the actuator arm. This is in contrast to the -7 flaps which have a nutplate on the inside of the end rib...

Thomas