PCHunt

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I'm having an unusual mag problem. Plane currently at KFTY (Charlie Brown) in the Atlanta area. I am on a long trip out of San Diego!!

The mag runs great when cold, and when airborne, but just after landing the engine runs rough, and when I do a mag check, the right mag runs extremely rough, and the engine dies. Two hours later, (After cooling off?) running good again.

I'm having my spare mag shipped overnight to arrive this afternoon, Wed 4 Nov. I have a few tools, but could use a mag timer box, etc.

The mag is a Slick 4370, non-impulse. My spare is a 4371, with impulse, so not sure it will fit.

I could fly to another airport in the area, if that would help. If anyone has a 4370 that I could borrow until getting home to San Diego, that would work, also. Or maybe there is a good mag shop in the area?

If anyone can help, please call my cell: 858-395-7383.

Thanks...

No it won't fit, just like that... IC mags need a different gear, a spacer, and longer studs... so I think, unfortunately, you ordered a wrong thing..

Aircraft Spruce isn't that far away.. you could probably drive down and have a correct mag in hand today..

OK VAF gurus.

I'm thinking he can take the gear and spacer of his 4370 and put them on the 4371, thus removing the impulse coupling and that will work fine. Is my logic flawed?

Or he could just order a P-mag and be done with that antique mag thing. :D

Pete, it sounds like your old mag has a crack that expands when it gets hot, impacting your timing.

Good luck with the repair.

You are very close to Aircraft Spruce at KFFC. They are on field and have parts right there.

OK VAF gurus.

I'm thinking he can take the gear and spacer of his 4370 and put them on the 4371, thus removing the impulse coupling and that will work fine. Is my logic flawed?

No, mags with an impulse coupler have a longer shaft.

You are very close to Aircraft Spruce at KFFC. They are on field and have parts right there.

You could fly there and I believe there are some RV builders on the field there also. There is at least one RV-10 builder there.

Definitely RVers on the field

You could fly there and I believe there are some RV builders on the field there also. There is at least one RV-10 builder there.
You could see if Vern could help

Vern Darley
Falcon RV Squadron
KFFC Hanger D-30
Peachtree City, GA
www.falconrv.com
770 310-7169
EAA Technical Counselor #5142
EAA Flight Advisor #486336
ATP/CFI/A&P/DAR

If you can get it to FFC and have a mag, I'll be glad to assist. Spruce is on the field. 770-460-1006
Jon Abarr

Last edited:
FFC help

I have a full toolbox and a hangar spot for you if needed. Jon Abarr is an outstanding A&P also and has my key. D-30
770 310-7169

WOW

Well, I just got back to my computer, and look at all the great replies!:D

Vern Darley called me, and I plan to take him up on his and John Abarr's offers of help. Thanks to all!!

Pete Hunt

What a great web-site and community!

I had this same problem once and it was a cracked coil on the mag. At cold temps the current flowed. At hot temps it didn't.

Magneto Fixed?

Hey Pete,
Just wondering if you've gotten your magneto figured out and fixed yet. Sure is be-yoo-tee-ful weather all across the country for the next day or two. Just wondering if you made it home yet. What a great group of guys to offer help to a stranger. Hope it all turned out okay.

Magneto fixed?

I just happened to fly in to FFC to visit a friend today. Met a bunch great RVer's including Pete and John. As of 2pm when I had to leave, they were still working on the mag problem.

Steve
N174AS

Update

Mags fixed.

I just gotta say, that if you are on a cross country a very long way from home, and you have stubborn mag problems, there is no better place to have trouble than in Atlanta, specifically Falcon Field, Peachtree City, Georgia, USA.

In my next life, I want to live and fly out of KFFC. :)

Hats off to John Abarr in particular. John is an RV builder, A&P-IA, pilot, and most importantly, all-around-good-guy. He spent MANY hours helping me diagnose and fix the problems.

In the end, two mags replaced, and back in the air. (That's only the short story!)

Thank you John, and all the Falcon RV squadron of Peachtree City!

Forever indebted...................

Southern hospitality is..

...not a myth :) Yesterday I had a hangar full of guys as my -10 arrived from Montana and Vince Frazier and Jason arrived in Vince's gorgeous Rocket.

We all went to a dumpy looking fish house and pigged out on catfish, shrimp and oysters.

Blue skies,