Bubblehead

Well Known Member
I am the proud 4th owner of RV-8 N247TD, which flies great but is poorly documented. Now that winter has set in I am slowly working my way through all the systems to identify parts, pieces, consumables and replaceables. I removed the right wingtip this weekend to figure out the strobe, taxi/landing and position light systems. The strobe power supply is Aeroflash 152-0007. Here's a picture of the outside of the wingtip with the plastic lens removed.:

Here's the taxi/landing light element:

Here's the position light element, which seems to say "GE193" on it:

and the strobe tube:

I think the strobe flash unit is Aeroflash 073-0270, but don't have any info on the taxi/landing light element and have not been able to find any reference to the GE-193 bulb.

Does anyone in RV-land know what the correct bulb numbers are? O like the looks of the wingtip light system but want to be ready in case a bulb burns out. The bad thing about the system on "TD" is you have to remove the entire wingtip to replace any of the lights!

Thanks,

John

Last edited:
Lights

The strobe unit is an Aeroflash as supplied on Cessnas. The nav light bulb is automotive, about $1.00 at any auto parts store. The landing/taxi light is also automotive, probably Hella. More than likely it has a common H1 or H3 halogen bulb inside. Again, auto parts store item.

I just looked up the spec on the 193 bulb. A good choice, GE says it has a 15000 hour life span. I wouldn't buy too many spares. :D

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Hella light

Yes, Hella is a european maker of automotive lighting. The unit on your airplane could be one of theirs. Another possibility is PIAA as a manufacturer. In fact, you might want to Google PIAA P-1000XT it looks similar to the one in your photo. As I noted, there are a few standard halogen bulbs used in most of the automotive lamps. At $5 to $6 for a bulb they sure beat the $25 aircraft seal beam lamps.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Syslvania Osram 64151

Well I got a magnifying glass and fiund some numbers on the base of the halogen bulb used for the landing and taxi lights. They are Sylvania 64151 55W bulbs. I even found a couple of on-line sources for them. Very reasonable at about $3.00 each. Apparently they are used on a lot of Porsches. Now to track down the position light bulbs.

I appreciate the help on these items.