PilotBrent

Well Known Member
Hello, I need some advise on something I am confused about tonight. Also sent note off to Van's as well.

I am completing Upper Fuselage Section 29A Page 5. (Using version 10/26/11, revision 0)

Panel Base F-1202B does not have rivet holes punched out in center aft flange that match the Figure 3 picture. I am unable to rivet the 6 nutplates that the plans call for. There are 6 #40 sized holes in this area instead of nutplate holes. Unclear to me how the F-00023 Center Inst. Panel will eventually be attached to the Panel Base as the plans call for screws to hold it in place. Please see pictures.

1) Do I have the correct plans for this section? I suspect I may not, but these came with the fuse kit delivered in March.

2) Otherwise, am I supposed to try and match drill the nutplates for the Inst. Panel OR is the Inst. Panel Riveted to the Panel Base instead of screw/nutplate held in place?

See #40 holes rather than predrilled nutplate holes
2w4crco.jpg

Center Inst. Panel has holes that appear to need screws to attach to panel base
21np2wz.jpg

Appreciate any feedback especially from anyone who faced the same issue recently. Thanks,

That is easy. Originally you just riveted the center to the bottom panel piece. With the Skyview, you must modify by adding a batch of nutplates for those holes.

That is easy. Originally you just riveted the center to the bottom panel piece. With the Skyview, you must modify by adding a batch of nutplates for those holes.

are they all K1000-6 nut plates? I assume they would be.
I'm just assembling this section now and even though it will be quite a while before I get the avionics kit, I might as well go and install them now also.

Presumably just use the existing #30 holes and drill either side for #40s countersink and add the k1000-6's with AN426AD3-3.5's
?

Yes, same nutplates as for all the other panel pieces, and same rivets. If you haven't matchdrilled one yet, put the screw in the existing hole pointing aft and cinch down the nutplate with it, with the nutplate on the aft side of the flange. Drill one rivet hole, cleco, drill the other. Remove, dimple, rivet.
Now here's something you might consider if you like custom touches. Note the panel here: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=82782&page=10
(page 10). The custom engine control label strip was made at a trophy shop, rather than use those stick-on labels. The screws on each end hold it in place. BEHIND it are countersunk screws going into the nutplates you are adding now, instead of the round-head screws like the rest of the panel. To do that you have to dimple the screw hole as well.

Yes, same nutplates as for all the other panel pieces, and same rivets. If you haven't matchdrilled one yet, put the screw in the existing hole pointing aft and cinch down the nutplate with it, with the nutplate on the aft side of the flange. Drill one rivet hole, cleco, drill the other. Remove, dimple, rivet.
Now here's something you might consider if you like custom touches. Note the panel here: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=82782&page=10
(page 10). The custom engine control label strip was made at a trophy shop, rather than use those stick-on labels. The screws on each end hold it in place. BEHIND it are countersunk screws going into the nutplates you are adding now, instead of the round-head screws like the rest of the panel. To do that you have to dimple the screw hole as well.

Thanks Bill.
It might actually be nice to countersink ALL the panel attach holes, just for the looks I mean.

I wish that Center Panel was of different construction. I covet the space above the radio for some future gadgets after certification, but removing that panel involves pulling all the push/pull cables. It would be nice if that lower part was a separate piece.

Bob Bogash
N737G

Yes, I sawed off the lower portion and mounted it to the panel floor. Now I can take that center piece off anytime I want to. I will add my parking brake cable to the lower portion as well.

Section 29A vs. 42D

Thanks everyone for rapid VAF responses. Van's also emailed back with essentially the same response.

Seems that even though the Panel Base that was shipped to me earlier this year included instructions consistent with Skyview, the part itself was drilled for the pre-Skyview layup. I'll need to add nutplates as directed in section 42D, page 3 as if I was doing an upgrade even though I am building new. Hope that will be be the only minor hickup. :rolleyes: ... unlikely!

countersunk nutplates?

The custom engine control label strip was made at a trophy shop, rather than use those stick-on labels. The screws on each end hold it in place. BEHIND it are countersunk screws going into the nutplates you are adding now

Did you also have to use a different nut plate?
a k1000-6 is not intended for a countersunk screw
wouldn't I have to use a K1100-6 ?

The countersink is on the face of the instrument panel plate. The nutplates shouldn't make a difference.

The countersink is on the face of the instrument panel plate. The nutplates shouldn't make a difference.

ah right, so I don't need to dimple the screw hole either then.
I didn't realize that the instrument panel was thick enough to be countersunk, I was expecting to dimple it.
Thanks
Tim