nighthawkjammer

I'm New Here
I am looking for an experienced builder,mechanic, and or pilot to aid in finding the right plane for me. I have been looking at Vans, Lancairs, and Glasairs. The plane would be used for commute between Minnesota and Ohio, about 600 nm, and between Ohio and N. Carolina, about 300nm. I am looking to spend less than $100,000 and would like the plane to cruise at least 180kts. IFR and an autopilot are a must. Of course I would cover the costs and expenses for a prebuy and for your time. Thank you

Nighthawk

Help finding airplane

Rob "Smokey" Ray. One of the best, if not the best. Super knowlegeable, ethical to a T, and very methodical in the process.863-397-1657. You can't go wrong.

Could you live with 175knots?

...because not too many RV's will cruise at 180 but many can easily do 175/201MPH, including -10's.

The Lancairs will exceed 180k all day long but you also need long, hard runways and have a high stall speed.

Best,

it looks .......

like a 2 seat glasair with io-540 should do the trick in speed and price.:D

Minnesota RV builder Tom Berge at http://www.rvtransition.com
He has performed multiple pre-buy inspections, offers ferry service, and transition training.
Personally, he has built an RV-6 and an RV-7A. Very knowledgeable and well respected by the MN RV community. Check out his website and give him a call.
-Aaron

Great!

Thanks for all the other leads and ideas, now I just need to find the right one for sale:) Also does anyone know of any banks that will do loans for experimentals?

Nighthawk

Try your usual bank....

...as I've done for over 30 years. We're on a first-name basis and they even come out to the airport to look at 'their' airplane:D

It's you that they're financing anyway, not the airplane/car/boat/diamonds:)

BTW, there's a brand new IFR ready -6, 24 miles from me that routinely cruises at 201 MPH for sale.
Best,

I can confirm that

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=57211

Nighthawk,
This one is that fast and more.
Built by Robbie Attaway...a two time RV-6 builder, A&P and Airline pilot.

We are located in central Virginia, so not very far away from Ohio!

Robbie Attaway beat me in the 2007 Taylor 100 air race (cross country and not in a straight line) at a speed of 186.47 kts (see results at www.sportairrace.org).

However, RVs are not fat on fuel and at that speed you are going to be burning it fast - I would flight plan for IFR trips no more than 400nm and the alternate had better be close by.

Bob Axsom

Reference thought

For aircraft model speed you should go to www.sportairrace.org and scroll down the season 2007, 2008 and 2009 race results click on the year of interest then the race of interest. The aircraft models/types are listed along with their speed (kts & statute mph). The classes are identified under The Mission on the home page. In general when you see a "red" class the engines are limited to 320 cu. in. and the "Blue" class engine limits are 360 cu. in. There are several hundred side by side data lines of objective speed information.

Bob Axsom

Composite aircraft

I can only give you some looks into the composite world of the Lancair. Typically, a 118 HP O-235-powered Lancair 235 will have a 75% power speed of 192-203 mph at 8000' dalt. A 160 HP 320 will be 213-223 mph, and a 200 HP 360 will be 225-238 mph. For those who want to spend a lot of time in the building process, a composite would fill the bill, but if you're looking for something that will get you into the air sooner, even with about 10% less speed, I'd definitely recommend one of Van's series!