Mike Ice

Well Known Member
I know this isn't exactly about RV airplanes but I need (want) a place to keep my 9.

Does anyone know where I can buy a set of plans to build a 48 X 48 wood construction hangar? I want to use wood because I think it will be easier to finish out the interior myself.

Thanks,

Mike Ice
Anchorage, Alaska

Try Morton Buildings (Not Morgan), they build wood framed hangars and might sell a set of plans. I know Mark Frederick, F1-Boss has a Morton and loves it.

I know this isn't exactly about RV airplanes but I need (want) a place to keep my 9.

Does anyone know where I can buy a set of plans to build a 48 X 48 wood construction hangar? I want to use wood because I think it will be easier to finish out the interior myself.

Thanks,

Mike Ice
Anchorage, Alaska

Where are you going to build it? Construction in Alaska's pretty easy as far as building codes and permits.....

The big question would be how you plan to build your door. Basically you build the structure around that. The truss shop in Houston/Big Lake can make most any roof truss. Just tell them the span, and the snow load...and they'll construct it, and deliver it.

I was going to say the same thing.

I.e buy a pre-engineered trusses (read give your local truss company the span and a check!) and simply build a regular pole barn to hold up the roof.

Copy a door from a local hangar and voila..not too hard.

Farnk

hangar plans

thanks for the ideas,

Your right about the building codes and permits being a simple process and I hope it stays that way.

I was just looking for a floor plan for a hangar so I could tell the gent that will be pouring the slab where to put all required bolts and doors and such. I guess I will just sketch it out on a piece of paper myself.

I have not been able to find a simple set of plans to build a 2 X 6 framed hangar and I wish I could.

I know, I built an airplane I should be able to build a hangar but I don't think I have the time right now to learn a whole new set of skills.

Mike Ice

Mike,

One of the guys at my airport built a Quonset hut type hanger. I think the building was around $5K and he bolted it together himself.

He then built a wood top hinged door and used two large hydraulic rams to raise and lower it.

My -9 fits in there very nicely as that?s where we did the W&B two years ago.

Let me know if you want me to take some pictures or get any of the info from him.

In fact, it is large enough that he "drives" his -6A in there and spins it around.

metal hangar

Bill,

What's with the dragon tail in your signature?

Anyway after fooling around for two weeks trying to make the wooden hangar work for me I threw in the towel and I am ordering a steel hangar next week. Wood is hard for me to figure out, steel, nuts, bolts, cutting torch, welder and maybe a few rivets, sheet metal is what I like.

Thanks for all the ideas.

wood challenged,:D

Mike Ice