Bugsy

Well Known Member
I just ordered my kit and now want to take one of the empenage building classes I have been hearing about. Problem is I live in Albuquerque and will have to travel no matter which one I choose.

Bottom line: What has been your experience with various vendors and is it worth the cash?

Thanks

My Synergy Air class in Eugene, Oregon, was really worth it. Wally has a nice facility right at the airport and is a very knowledgeable instructor. I know others were happy with what they learned, as well. Just take good notes and pictures because you'll never be able to remember all of the information!

I've heard a lot of good things out of the place here in Griffin, GA - 10 days of work and it's complete and looking great. Alexander? Is that the name?

Check out GrovAir

I just took the weekend RV builders class with Troy Grover at Grov-Air. They have a nice facility and provide excellent RV training. Check them out at WWW.grov-air.com.

I can't speak to the tail build class at Synergy, but I did take the one day "Fundamentals of Building" which was great. From what I saw Wally has a great facility and is a wealth of knowledge. I did not do the tail build class due to money and schedule issues but I sure wish I had, 4 months and I only have my VS done! I would say if you have the money take the class. As I build on my own I find I run into issues that it would be nice to stop and ask an expert like Wally, "is this OK". Instead I use this forum which has been great.

You can fly into Eugene OR, or Portland for Wally's place. Eugene is a nice town with good eats and nice clean hotels.

Cheers

Thanks

Thanks, I decided the money is worth it, now I just have to decide which one.

Ed McGowin

I would highly recommend Ed McGowin. He was one of the original teachers in Griffin, GA. I think he has assisted with more than 200 empennage sections and owns an RV-6 that he built. In many cases he has been willing to come to you to teach you the class. He helped me build my empennage in my basement over a one week period nearly 3 years ago. Since then he has become a great friend and has helped me see my RV-7 through to completion. He will teach you how to read the plans (very important) and how to build. By the end of the week you will have a good feel for the necessary skills to finish your project and you will have had enough practice to make you hands ache from squeezing rivets and dimpling. Equally important (maybe more), he is a very good teacher. He is patient and allows you to explore your own ideas and make a few mistakes along the way. In my case, he provided a great environment for learning, in my own shop, with my own tools, on my own plane, and in the end I wound up with a really nicely done tail section.

If would like his number, send me a private message and I will reply.

Keith

With Synergy you can do a weekend class and get the build basics or you can stay a week and leave with a finished tail. If you choose to stay have the emp kit sent to them. I'd definetly give Wally a call for the details. WAY worth the cash.