Russell

I'm New Here
Is there any experience/suggestions/recomendations for the need or benefit for side steps on a tail dragging RV9??? Van's almost seems to discurage the steps on tail draggers. Any comments/advice.
Russ

I have seen steps on taildraggers but their very rare. If your older and don't have good mobility, you might want to consider it. Otherwise you'll be fine without.

Karl

RV8N said:
I have seen steps on taildraggers but their very rare. If your older and don't have good mobility, you might want to consider it. Otherwise you'll be fine without.

Karl

A couple of other things to consider - the height, weight, and age of you and your passengers. If you're short, the step up to the wing is a stretch. If you're heavy, that step is tough, and age is against you...

If I had it to do over again, I might put a step on the passenger's side of my airplane. My dad (72, and creaky knees) has a hard time getting aboard and my mom, who has mobility issues, would be a real challenge to get aboard. I have other friends and relatives who I've avoided taking flying because I thought they would have a very tough time getting up on the wing.

By the way, some people (particularly short and/or heavy people) have some difficulty stepping over the cockpit side. Getting in doesn't seem to be as hard as getting out...

Russ instead of permanent steps why not use a small plastic step platform. We use one on our minivan when needed. It is very light, doesn't take much space and is larger and easier for challenged folks to use than an aircraft step.

I have steps on my -6 but they are my own design, not Van's.
They come straight out just at the flap trailing edge. They do not hang down. Perfect for us short legged, "mature" people.

Last edited:
the height, weight, and age of you and your passengers. If you're short, the step up to the wing is a stretch. If you're heavy, that step is tough, and age is against you...

These factors really affect my wife and I. A step is a necessity not an option. Really didn't want the cosmetics of a step nor the drag but it ended up not looking too bad and any speed loos is so small as to be immeasurable. Had thought about a folding plastic stool but how to retrieve it and what to do with it once up on the wing is problematic especially in the F1.

The picture below is on my radial. I fabricated the step from an old Cessna wing strut and mounted it along the bulkhead behind the rear seat. This is the same spot I will mount it in the F1 when getting up on it becomes unbearable. Should also work well in an RV8. I do not know what the structure looks like in the side by sides.
stepsmallji2.jpg

img2051smallkf6.jpg

img2052smallde1.jpg

Last edited:
I have had some passengers who have a problem getting into my Nine. I keep a small RubberMaid Stool avialible for them. I also use it for my Cub. More people have problems getting in the Cub than the RV. Unfortuntely I have had to turn people way that I would have liked to taken for a ride because of their size. If I had it to do over I would definitely consider a step.
Gerry Chancey
RV-9, N92GC
J-3, NC88583

Your choice but there is another option.

I like the ideas above, but getting in and out is not a problem for most people, men or woman of average height, weight, flexibility and physical condition. However if you are concerned, younger, older or shorter folks, you can carry a little step stool. I always help board the passenger first and deplane them any way. There is a retractable step kit out there, which goes up and down with flaps. If you go for a step, consider a step only on the passenger side.

Last edited: