airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
I saw a guy a few years ago with an RV that had put a battery charging jack in the fuselage skin that was uncovered with the flaps full-down (he always parked it that way) and would be completely covered with flaps up. I want to do the same, but I don't have my wings mounted right now and it will be some time before I do. I'd like to ask if I could get someone with a 9/9A to take a good photo of the wing/fuse intersection with flaps up and flaps down so I can see where to put that jack, so I can install it now instead of waiting until after I put the wings on.

Thanks!

I don't have a good photo to share, but anywhere between the lower fuselage skin that sticks out under the flap, and the location of the flap connecting rod will be hidden when the flaps are up.

You can sort of see it here in the lower left corner of the photo.
IMG_0109-M.jpg

I don't have a good photo to share, but anywhere between the lower fuselage skin that sticks out under the flap, and the location of the flap connecting rod will be hidden when the flaps are up.

You can sort of see it here in the lower left corner of the photo.
IMG_0109-M.jpg

Ahhh, I was thinking aft of the flap connecting rod, but I guess forward works just as well. There's enough travel there it will still clear as long as I'm not WAY forward. I'm just going to put a low-amperage plug there fused at 20 amps, for a standard battery charger or float charger - nothing big enough for a jump-start.

Charger socket location ...

I copied Dave Burden's charger socket installation and put it on the engine mount just inside the oil filler door. That makes the wire connections to the battery no more than about 10". I have the wire sized for 15A, but 20 A would be no problem. Dave (and I) used the socket that's used for motorcycle accessories (there's a name for 'em which I cannot recall at the moment) , for which you can get adapters to the standard two-prong battery maintainer plug. I've been using this for a over a year now and it's foolproof. Inexpensive, out of the way, easy to access. It's w-a-y easier than trying to locate near the flaps. :)

I copied Dave Burden's charger socket installation and put it on the engine mount just inside the oil filler door. That makes the wire connections to the battery no more than about 10". I have the wire sized for 15A, but 20 A would be no problem. Dave (and I) used the socket that's used for motorcycle accessories (there's a name for 'em which I cannot recall at the moment) , for which you can get adapters to the standard two-prong battery maintainer plug. I've been using this for a over a year now and it's foolproof. Inexpensive, out of the way, easy to access. It's w-a-y easier than trying to locate near the flaps. :)

This is exactly what I'm doing. The Odyssey charger comes with a short pigtail that attaches directly to the battery lugs. Just connect the other end of the pigtail to the engine mount or oil filler tube and then all you need to do to access it is open the oil door.

That would work great, except that my battery is behind the firewall and the flap root area is easy access. I was trying to avoid running a wire to the FWF area for this.