pilot28906

Well Known Member
I think I have made a mistake that is going to require some rework.
I am trying to fit the flaps to the wing attached to the fuse in order to drill the hole for the flap rod. The problem is that the inboard edge of the flap is still rubbing the fuse. I have trimmed the flap top skin as much as possible and it still rubs, in fact the rivet rubs the fuse. After thinking on this I think I have too much gap between the flap and ailerons. Is the gap supposed to be 1/4" (I can't seem to find it in the plans)? I have about 11/32 (.340) between the aileron and flap. Do I need to drill out the flap hinge half on the wing and replace it (new) with one closer to the aileron by .090"? I don't see any other way to fix this and I have no idea how I messed this up.

Advice??:confused:

gap

If .090 gets you there, yes you need to replace hinge.

I had a simular situation except I discovered before I put on the wings.
I however did not build the wings, I purchased them from another builder who changed his mind about building the 7A. One wing ok, but the other I had to fix.

To fix the situation I drilled out the rivets and installed a new hinge. It really was not a hard fix. It took a little time but better than I thought.
Best to you, you will get it.:)

Dave

Thanks. Replacing the hing half it is. I think I will get the wider -4 hinge from A.S. while I am at it. Is there a tolerance on the gap between the aileron and flap or is it just 1/4". Can anyone point me to this on the prints; I am have trouble locating it.

Thanks again.

1/4

I used extruded hinge MS20001P rather than the MS20257P that vans supplies, cost is not much more.
Check drawing #9 for dimension.

Last edited: