paulsmeds

I just purchased and flew home a new to me RV-6A. So far absolutely loving it. It has the original 2003 panel which all seems to work. However, there is a small LCD display in the lower left and I honestly have no idea what it is. It seems to display numbers around 35 to 40. I searched the forum and actually found other panel pictures with he same display also showing similar numbers. I can admit it, I'm coming from the Mooney world and have never seen anything like it. I was thinking carb heat but it doesn't seem to jive. In the lower right of the LCD it looks like it has AV as the units. Please don't roast me, I have a feeling I'm going to feel stupid when I find out what it is. As a bonus question, I have two unlabeled lights on the panel red and yellow. I've never seen either of them come on and not labelled.

This airplane was featured in the 2003 August Sport Aviation Article and shows the panel with labels on these things but you can't read them in the article pictures and the labels are now long gone. I'd love to figure out what these things are as I hate flying around with stuff I don't understand!

1721692199057.png

It's a valid question, don't feel dumb. I gather the original owner isn't available to ask. Could there be anything buried in the POH? At first I thought it looked like a trim indicator, but those typically don't have numbers, just bars.

Regarding the lights, it's not uncommon for that vintage panel to have a Master Caution (red) and an Alternator Caution light (yellow). If the master switch has a split switch (or a double throw) for battery & alternator, try switching it to the battery position and see if the yellow light comes on. If it does, that mystery is solved.

Could you follow the wires back from the mystery indicators and see where they lead? A voltage regulator, EIS, or something else may give you a clue. Maybe someone else can chime in with more informed answers. I'm just guessing.

I just purchased and flew home a new to me RV-6A. So far absolutely loving it. It has the original 2003 panel which all seems to work. However, there is a small LCD display in the lower left and I honestly have no idea what it is. It seems to display numbers around 35 to 40. I searched the forum and actually found other panel pictures with he same display also showing similar numbers. I can admit it, I'm coming from the Mooney world and have never seen anything like it. I was thinking carb heat but it doesn't seem to jive. In the lower right of the LCD it looks like it has AV as the units. Please don't roast me, I have a feeling I'm going to feel stupid when I find out what it is. As a bonus question, I have two unlabeled lights on the panel red and yellow. I've never seen either of them come on and not labelled.

This airplane was featured in the 2003 August Sport Aviation Article and shows the panel with labels on these things but you can't read them in the article pictures and the labels are now long gone. I'd love to figure out what these things are as I hate flying around with stuff I don't understand!

View attachment 66971
The LCD display is most likely ignition timing. But it NEEDS to be labeled.

View attachment 66971
The gauge may be displaying atmospheric pressure in inches of mercury for the static system, based on the range, this is just a guess.
I agree with the other poster that the red and yellow lights are warnings, possibly oil pressure and low or high voltage.

This plane was featured in a 2003 August Sport Aviation article covering its entire build. I'm not sure if they are still around but would be great if they were! I'm going to be what looks like the 3rd owner. Prior owner isn't reachable.

I've gone through all the paperwork there is no mention of the LCD screen or the two lights. The LCD screen being the ignition timing makes complete sense as it has one electronic ignition. I'll look it up and see what its telling me and what to look out for. It was fluctuating between 36.5 and 39 on the 2 hour flight home.

It doesn't have a split switch for master and battery, just a master. Definitely could be an alternator warning. But I'd expect it to come on at some point during start up or something. Both never have lit up yet. I'm going to have to get under the panel at some point and will trace the wires back. Thanks both of you!

Mel is right and that's a key takeaway for builders: LABEL STUFF, especially before you go selling your airplane!
I would say this is inexcusable, but then I'd have to admit there's a thing I added recently that I still haven't labelled - okay okay, going out to do it now. :rolleyes:

Yikes, all your instruments are riveted to the panel ?!?!?? So hopefully that means the entire panel can be tilted / removed fairly easily, and then you can start tracing wires attached to all the suspects.

And welcome to the world of RV's! Older 6a's are a terrific gateway drug to bigger and better things. ;)

Mel is right and that's a key takeaway for builders: LABEL STUFF, especially before you go selling your airplane!
I would say this is inexcusable, but then I'd have to admit there's a thing I added recently that I still haven't labelled - okay okay, going out to do it now. :rolleyes:
In defense of the builders in 2003 everything looks labelled in the EAA article I just can't make out what they say in the pictures. I was able to find the original magazine on EBay and should be here in a few days - hopefully with a magnifying glass I'll be able to make out the labels! Over the next 21 years who knows when those labels fell off or were pulled off.

The one in the second image indeed appears to be a display for a Lightspeed ignition system:

View attachment 66998

(by the way, what are those unlabeled switches??)
You nailed it! With the link found "During startup this display would typically read 00.00 degrees, at high power conditions it will show approx. 25 degrees and during low power operations it will show as much as 42 degrees of timing advance. " This is exactly what I'm seeing. Crazy to see 36.9 at 8500 full throttle and 2,400 RPM. I guess that counts as low power situations! I'll get it labelled!

Regarding the switches in that picture, that's taken from another thread and is a different plane. Thanks for this, I'm now on the right track!

Yikes, all your instruments are riveted to the panel ?!?!?? So hopefully that means the entire panel can be tilted / removed fairly easily, and then you can start tracing wires attached to all the suspects.

And welcome to the world of RV's! Older 6a's are a terrific gateway drug to bigger and better things. ;)
Actually those are not rivets they are really small hex head screws. Very small but can be unscrewed and pull down the panel. They really did a great job overall!