Hi. I bought an RV4 pretty much built without engine. Can anyone give me, within a few inches, the distance from the front of the motor mount to the tip of the rudder at its widest point. The cowling is not attached to the plane at this time. I need to get a trailer or maybe even rent a U-Haul and need to determine what I need to get, lenghtwise. also what is the length of a wing from root edge to end of wing tip(fiberglass tip). Thanks for any info that may help. I've got to travel a long distance to get the plane and don't want to have to drag a heavy trailer if not need to or rent a truck to extra long. Again, Thanks, Tom in Ga.

Just an idea

If you are going a long way I wonder if you have checked into one way rentals?

My Wife and I went to get all her childhood junk...I mean furniture over a distance of 1000miles.

Penske rentals (Much higher quality than UHaul) ave us a pretty good deal.

That way you could possibly reserve the option on a couple of sizes and go measure the beast first and then rent the truck.

Could you not get the seller to measure it for you?

Good deal on the RV4...Awesome airplane.

Frank

Do it right!

If you're going to do this then do it right...don't try to come up with any 'shade tree' ideas just to get it home. Open trailers are OK for the fuse but I wouldn't try stacking wings for a long trip.

I purchased a similar RV4 project last year with engine mounted and on the gear. I simply rented a Budget 24' truck near the pick up location. Arrived at the location in Georgia. Pick up (2) 12' long 2x12's and have a couple folks there to help. We rolled the fuse up on the trailer and stowed the wings on some cradles but you can EASILY tie them to the side walls of the truck. There was LOTS of room for all the other stuff as well....canopy, controls, flaps, ailerons, tail group, etc. Budget will also rent you quilts by the dozen for VERY cheap prices. Don't forget to get some nylon tiedown (pull straps) from WalMart....a couple/three packs of 4ea will go a long way and works a lot better then rope.

All said and done this is (for me) the ONLY way to do it. From Georgia to Ohio only cost me about $385 bucks plus diesel for the truck. Plus...I had access to the truck for 7 days total.....kick back...take your time and make a trip out of it. Looking back it was a very pleasant experience.

Get on the phone and start making some calls :) !

Good Luck,
Rick in Ohio at the Buffalo Farm
http://rv6rick.tripod.com/ohiovalleyrvators/

another thought

If you might be a bit shorthanded at the loading end, consider picking up two "come alongs". Undo the bolt that doubles up the cable so it will streatch as long as it will go.
Do the same with the second one and hook them end to end.

You now have a light (and cheap) winch that you can tie to the inside of the truck to help haul it up the ramp.

Me and the new owner of my old airplane did that and it greatly reduced the stress of the whole affair.

Frank

Minimum length would be 19', but believe me, you don't want that. I've hauled several for long distances. A 24' truck works much better. It's much easier to load if you have extra room. Rent it one way if you are going any distance.