Well being a long distance commuter now, (Live in St. George UT and work in Lancaster, CA) I have decided that flying would be far better than driving the 360miles that I am currently driving. I have flown in Paul Rosales 6A and really loved it but am wondering if I should go with a 7A? I have decided at least at this point that building is not going to be an option for awhile. I do have this in my long term goals but need to be in the air now instead of 2-6 years from now if I build. I have also sat in an 8 but really prefer the side by side seating. I know the cockpit size from a 6A to 7A is virtually the same but the 7A seemed to be a larger plane otherwise.
Also which engine choice would be better for me? 160hp or the 180hp. To me time is money but so is GPH's. I want to make a wise choice when it comes to engine size since that is one of the major expenses. I also just need a basic VFR panel with night flying capabilities.
I must say I am very impressed with the Van's Aircraft planes. Most people I talk to say I would be better off in a 172 or 182 that is 30-40years old then to buy a Used Experimental or "Custom Built" plane. What are your theories.

Also on the last note. I just started flying lessons so I will be a low time pilot when I make my plane purchase. Also my budget is going to be $70-80k.

So what would be the best commuter both economically and performance wise?

Thanks

Your best "deal" will be on a -6a with a 160 horsepower engine.

The -7 was designed to do two things that were not features in the -6. First, everything in the kit is match drilled to make assembly faster and more accurate. If you are buying a flying airplane, that shouldn't matter much to you, although you should look more closely at a -6 to make sure it is properly assembled. The second thing is that the -7 has a slightly larger wing and a somewhat higher gross weight. To you that translates to a slower aircraft on the same HP and a higher useful load.

As far as being a low time pilot, make sure you get good transition training.

Also, if I was commuting 360 miles frequently, I'd make sure the airplane had at least a wing leveler/ single axis autopilot like the TruTrack or the Trio. About $2k for either unit.

The daily check...

Hi Dave,

Make sure to regularly scan the classified section for RV-6A's if that's in fact what you're looking for.

Go to http://www.vansairforce.com/community/search.php and put RV-6A in the Key Word(s) box. Make sure you have the VAF Classified forum selected in the Search in forum(s) box.

I just searched it and found (3) flying ones for sale.

Best,
Doug

Last edited:
Have another question!! I have also been scanning the barnstormers website and they have a good selection of RV's. Looks like from that site I could slip into a 6A for my budget of $80 niclely and have a great plane. Just wondering when they say the year of the plane For Example 2004 RV-6A does this mean the kit was purchased in 2004 or does this mean the plane recieved it's airworthiness cert in 2004? Guess what I am saying is if I bought a kit this year (06) and it took me 4 years to complete would it be registered as an 2006 or a 2010?

Used RV

While the 6A would normally be the most economical choice, you might also consider the 9A. It seems that Van's people consider it the plane of choice when doing cross country work and it is about the same speed as the 7A with the same power. They seem to sell for a bit less than the 7's, probably because many are fixed pitch and carbed O-320's. Cabin size is the same as the 7A. Normal engine with the 9 is 150 or 160 hp with 160 being the most common, I believe. Very economical traveler, but I am a little prejudiced.

Bob Kelly

I would second the recommendation for a -9A as a commuter, especially given the route you'll be flying over. The -9 has a larger, higher aspect ratio wing which should be a little better (theoretically) at altitude, and would have a lower landing speed. A low landing speed could become very important over some of the terrain between St George and Lancaster.

James Freeman

It's all about the climb...

The 172's and Warriors are nice planes but they're dogs around the Antelope valley, especially if you're anywhere near gross weight. 644fpm at sea level? Yeah right. Maybe when it's new and polished. Combine a tired engine with some cracked fairings, a warm day (typical around here) and slightly sloppy pilot tecnique (keep that ball centered!) and you'll fnd yourself struggling at about 100fpm or less past 9000 feet some days.

I'd be looking at planes like the 182, Piper P28-235 or Dakota($$$), of course anything from Vans etc... I wouldn't even consider anything without a constant speed prop except maybe something from Vans just because they perform so well regardless....certainly no fixed pitch spam cans. We live in Lancaster and rent fixed pitch spam cans...we know...the climb can be brutal. We're looking to buy a plane ourselves. A big reason is that we're both tired of spending the first 30 minutes, or more, of each flight in a climb just to clear terrain and get out of the turbulence.

Just another perspective and something to think about.

Now a better question is if you're considering this just for a commuter, why not get a -3? :D

Decisions, decisions.....

Last edited:
reasons for the commute

You might think hard on the reasons for your commute. Are you commuting because you absolutely have to get somewhere at a specific time? I ask because a real factor in daily commuter flying will eventually end up involving the fact that you will have to arive at either end of the commute, without question, at a specific time regardless of the weather (i.e. you have to be at work at 8:00 am every day). If your answer to that question is yes then I might suggest you seriously examine the issues of having to fly in weather. You mention that you are interested in a plane with day/night VFR. This may not be a good choice if you absolutely have to be at the end of your commute on a bad weather day. I mention these issues not as a discourgement but as something you might want to seriously consider when you examine the type of airplane you are looking at and how it is equipped.

RVbySDI said:
I might suggest you seriously examine the issues of having to fly in weather.

This exact thought has gone through my head while thinking of my job (I'm a contractor who tests biotech and pharmaceutical equipment and facilities, so I travel all over So. Cal. for sometimes months at a time on some jobs.)
My conclusion was that on most jobs I would have to have a vehicle at both ends in case I got stuck behind weather (and also get from the airport to the job and back). Here in So. Cal. we mostly have to worry about coastal marine layers and not so much the storms that spring up out of nowhere like the midwest.

I drive through St. George every year on my way to Solitude to ski. I understand that flying weather can be a bit unpredictable starting about now through the winter? Either way - man thats a long drive to make every week!

The route flown over the Mojave desert will be from the Antelope Valley (Fox Field), around Edwards Air Force base, over Barstow (Daggett), Las Vegas into St. George is VFR probably 360 days/year. The biggest issue would be headwinds westbound. An RV commuter plane would be perfect for this :D Rosie

SGU.gif

So I'm a Wet Sponge

Move to Lancaster. Travel to St. George if wx allows and you've enough umph left post-work to safely travel. No pressure. More money. Buy the airplane you like.

John Siebold

Last edited:
RV7ator said:
Move to Lancaster. Travel to St. George if wx allows and you've enough umph left post-work to safely travel. No pressure. More money. Buy the airplane you like.

John Siebold

Excellent idea. I happen to know where you can buy a nice house with a 3 car workshop. House includes 60 gal. compressor and RV-7 empennage and wing kit :D

jcoloccia said:
Excellent idea. I happen to know where you can buy a nice house with a 3 car workshop. House includes 60 gal. compressor and RV-7 empennage and wing kit :D

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I have enjoed your comments. Don't think I will be moving back to Lancaster anytime soon though. We just barely moved from Lancaster to Utah about 3 weeks ago so to move back would not be smart. We need to see how this goes for awhile.

As far as the post regarding being at work at a specific time Yes I do have to be at work by 8am on select days. I will have a vehicle at airports on both ends and check weather the night before and also early enough the morning before that if I had to drive I still could drive to work. Being a Fireman I am working my days so that I come to work for anywhere from 3-5 days then home for anywhere from 2days to 3 weeks. A fireman schedule is a great schedule for commuting since we can group days together then go home for a bunch of days together. Also we work 24hrs shifts so we sleep at the station so I don't have a need for motels etc.

So far the commute driving has been working out ok since I have not been recalled or Forced to work an overtime shift. That is where the problem lies. If I am scheduled to come home monday morning but am recalled for tuesday that either means drive 6hrs home to turn around and come back again that night which is not smart or just stay in Lancaster and waste the day monday then go to work tuesday. This would be a big help if I had a plane cause now I could come home on those one days, If I flew I would be home by 10am and would not have to leave for work until 5am the day I go to work. Can't do that driving.

As of know when I leave work at 8am in the morning I don't get to St. George until about 3pm with the time zone change. If I flew I figure I could be home by 11am at the latest. It's 280nm from Lancaster to St. George so I figure it would take a little over 2hrs of flight time. That would cut my commute by 2/3rds.

Next I just need to decide how much per hour it will cost me to fly an RV6A or 7A. I know it will be more expensive since I won't have a repairmans cert but am hoping I can do it for $50-75per hour. That's if I pay cash for the plane so no payment involved. Does this sound possible?

LACO,

I was in a somewhat similar situation last year. I am in sales, and cover the state of Florida. I got my license 20+ years ago, only had 60 or 70 hours and quit flying. When I got this position, I decided I needed to take advantage of the certificate.

I looked around at options, and decided that for my profile (mostly by myself) a 2 seat faster plane was going to be more useful than a slower 4 place.

I looked around and found a new RV-6a for sale. Bought it when I had about 80 hours, took some transition training and I have been very satisfied with it. I put about 90 hours on it in the first year. I now have 160+ total hours time. My plane had 36 hours on it when I bought it, paid 75K for it, day/night VFR. I will tell you I just renewed my insurance, and it did not go down as I had hoped. When I back out my hangar costs, I am running a little under $100 per hour for all my aircraft expenses (except hangar). Unfortunately, there are a lot of one time costs that I put in under maintanance that are inflating that number the first year (Headsets, Hand held GPS etc..).

I will also tell you that I am using it for about 60% of my trips. If the weather is iffy, I still drive or take Southwest. But all in all, I am very happy with my decision.

James Raymond
N436JE

My complete guess

would be that at 160 hours your still pretty low time, I would guess that as you get to 300 or so things might be different.

Of course I bet rates have gone up every year too so it maybe your experience is just keeping up with the rate increases.

Your experience is interesting because up in oregon at least I know very few folks that successfully commute in their airplanes, this is probably due to the fact that most of the time you need an instrument rating to get out of the low cloud in the Willamette valley.

In fact, the reason I got support from "She who must be obeyed" for my IFR ticket was that on our long weekend trips, about half of them we ended up taking the car 'cus we couldn't trust the weather to either get there, or (more significantly) get back for work on Monday morning.

Would be very cool to commute by plane though!

Frank

frankh said:
Your experience is interesting because up in oregon at least I know very few folks that successfully commute in their airplanes, this is probably due to the fact that most of the time you need an instrument rating to get out of the low cloud in the Willamette valley.

Would be very cool to commute by plane though!

Frank

Frank, The route between St. George and Lancaster Ca would be VFR weather probably 90% of the time if not more. If I had to fly over the hill and drop into the LA Basin I probably would not even consider flying with the IFR qualifications. This is also one of the reasons that I will leave a car at both ends. Would not be good to feel pressured about making a flight if the weather was iffy.

Jraymond, $100 per hour was a little more than I was hoping for. Are you including a plane payment in there somewhere or did you also pay cash for your plane? If it will truely cost that much per hr I may be driving for a bit longer than I had hoped to.

I live in Saint George Utah as well and I am building a 7A. GREAT FUN. I decided to go experimental so I could build the plane and also Maintain It.

I have flown 172's and 182's and really enjoyed them both. The 172 is way to slow for me especially as a cross country commuter plane. The 182 is really roomy....relatively fast....and can haul some serious baggage (compared to the 7A)...but would be costly to operate and maintain.

For the money either a 6A 320 platform or the 7A 360 platform would be you best bet. But I am way prejudiced.

If you want to drop by and see my project you would be welcomed. But realize we have the 10 minute rule. We visit for 10 minutes and then we put you to work on the plane.

Frank @ sgu and slc .......RV 7A wiring.........................

Be Careful

Here's my two cents that I know you have already talked about. Be careful when you use a small plane for "have to get there trips" as often as you will be. Be careful about the excitement of "flying to work" AND - respect the fact that you are a low time pilot. And remember that the A models are unforgiving on bad landings! Subscribe to the NTSB REPORTER it has helped me make many go-no go decisions.
Sorry to be a downer - BUT Good Luck on getting your license and finding an RV They are a kick in the pants!

LACO

shoot me your email address, and I would be happy to give you my breakout. I track everything in Microsoft Money, but didn't have time to do a detailed report when I first replied.

Frank, I agree with you about the insurance rates, but when I originally called Falcon last year, they inferred that the rate should drop after the first year if I flew an average of 5-10 hours per month.. Of course, they could not give me any specifics, ie. when you reach XXX hours total time or make model time you rate will decrease to $$$. So I am hoping it will drop next year.

James

jraymond4321 said:
LACO

shoot me your email address, and I would be happy to give you my breakout. I track everything in Microsoft Money, but didn't have time to do a detailed report when I first replied.

Frank, I agree with you about the insurance rates, but when I originally called Falcon last year, they inferred that the rate should drop after the first year if I flew an average of 5-10 hours per month.. Of course, they could not give me any specifics, ie. when you reach XXX hours total time or make model time you rate will decrease to $$$. So I am hoping it will drop next year.

James

PM Sent with my email info. Thanks

Well, it'll make a pilot out of you

I would buy a non-experimental airplane and fly it on you mission for reliability and safety reasons. I have flown into St. George on a few occassions and I commuted to work for 15 or 16 years in the LA basin until I retired in 2004. For part of that time I worked on a project at the Phillips Lab adjacent to Edwards AFB and the sky was usually clear up there. I had vehicles at both ends of the flight when I went into JPL in Pasadena but when I had to got to Phillips Lab I landed at Fox Field and drove a Hertz to work. I know you realize that you will have insurance and maintenance problems with the land vehicles as well as your airplane. The cost is significantly greater to fly than single land vehicle driving. My total personal "away from home" budget for all of my direct operating expenses, including flying my Piper Archer II to work 5 days per week, food, car gas, etc. eventually ended up being $140 per week and at that time 100LL fuel costs were just hitting $3/gallon. Normally, I just flew from John Wayne Airport to El Monte. Quite a few days were IFR and some were below minimums especially after EMT went for GPS approach certification and the minimums were raised approximately 500 feet. When you have to make your go-nogo decisions many towers are not open and no weather observations are available for those without automated weather (like EMT). You will work out methods that work for you to get around this but there is some risk involved. What you find is you are doing a lot of flying like the old Mail Pilots did in the 20s and 30s. People will ask you questions about cost and speed trying to rationalize why you are doing this but they can never grasp that the real reason that you are doing it is you want to be a pilot with a mission other than "dodah" pleasure flying. No one that has never done it will ever feel what you feel if you rationalize the cost and the risk and just do it - and you will never be able to explain it to them. You will be poorer financially but if you survive it, it will be remembered as one of the high points in your life. Some of the LA basin pilots did not survive the experience during the time I was doing it. Being a fireman I'm sure you know all about dealing with risk.

Bob Axsom

Thanks for all the responses. With my commute I would be making 3-4 round trips per month and ocassionally 5 but that would probably be no more than 3-4 times per year. I am still real new with this and still gathering information to figure out if this is even going to be doable financially. I am currently putting aside about $1000 per month to see if we can do this. I am hoping that I can do this for $1000 per month at 3-4 round trips of 560nm. Anyone out there think this is possible? Like I have said plane should be paid for with cash so I won't have a plane payment but everything else will apply. Also I will probably tie down for awhile at first instead of hanger. Yes I will have vehicles on both ends and there will be some cost involved there. I am less than 4 miles from the Airport on both ends so my land travel time will be minimal.
Also Bob this is the first post I have had saying to buy a GA plane over an RV. Do you really think that the GA's are better mechanically? I always thought from reading here that I would be better off with the Custom built planes. A GA plane for the same price as a 6A is gonna be 30plus years old?

commute

I have made a 250 mile commute from where I live to Atlanta Ga on a VFR only basis. Ive flown this route both day and night. Over the years Ive flown cessna 150, cessan 140, cessna 172, cessna 182, piper 140, piper arrow, cherokee six and piper seneca over this route. Times range from over 2 hours to an hour and 30 minutes. Not a big difference between airplanes.

The one big thing I can say is weather will be your most significant consideration. Ive flown this trip with great VFR forcasts from flight service, only to get trapped in blinding rain along the way. Ive had to scud run, storm dodge, double back, stop in route, Leave the airplane over night, and once I landed an Arrow in soggy wet red Georgia clay in the rain and bogged the wheels up to the axels in mud.

If your going to do this, I suggest you progress to the point where you are quite capable to fly on instruments. I dont believe there is any such thing as Night VFR. Ive tried that, and run into rain, fog, thuderstorms, and nights as black as the inside of a cow.

There isnt much difference in what yur planning to do than if you were a professional charter pilot. Best to learn all you can about everything before you get caught unaware.

If I were planning to run your route, from what I know now, since cost is a concern I would pick up on an RV4. That is one fast commuter and not long ago I saw some on barnstormers under $50,000. Put in an EFIS , a garmin 430, and a hand held garmin 396 with XM weather a tru trak 2 axis auto pilot and some gyros. You will be way ahead of those of us who only had a pair of VOR and an ADF. I dont belive you can get a Factory plane that good. JMO. :p

Commercially built vs. RV

Yes, I think the Certified is better for your mission. With a certified airplane you typically will not have the potential of the RV but you will know what you have and it can be serviced and maintained by experts to keep it safe and functional. 280 nautical miles is a fairly easy trip for a Cessna 172 but its stability and speed make it easier for you to stay ahead of it and enjoy the ride. By requirement the commercially built airplanes such as the Skyhawk are very similar but the variation between RVs is significant. In an RV, the rigging is more likely to be off; there may be no electrical schematic or wiring diagram; if the builder did draw them up initially they probably have not been maintained as changes are incorporated; and the potential for latent defects is higher. However, if someone tried to trade me a 172 for my RV-6A I would find it hard not to laugh at them. For my purposes the RV performance is so superior, well, I just don't think I could go back.

Bob Axsom

Bob says C172's are better than RV's!

Bob Axsom said:
Yes, I think the Certified is better for your mission. With a certified airplane you typically will not have the potential of the RV but you will know what you have and it can be serviced and maintained by experts to keep it safe and functional. 280 nautical miles is a fairly easy trip for a Cessna 172 but its stability and speed make it easier for you to stay ahead of it and enjoy the ride. By requirement the commercially built airplanes such as the Skyhawk are very similar but the variation between RVs is significant. In an RV, the rigging is more likely to be off; there may be no electrical schematic or wiring diagram; if the builder did draw them up initially they probably have not been maintained as changes are incorporated; and the potential for latent defects is higher. However, if someone tried to trade me a 172 for my RV-6A I would find it hard not to laugh at them. For my purposes the RV performance is so superior, well, I just don't think I could go back.

Bob Axsom
Bob Old buddy I have to disagree. :D You're right, RV's are amateur built planes, built by individuals from a kit, outfitted with a wide range of engines, props, instrument panels and panel layouts. However it almost sounds like a RV put down, and knowing you from your posts, I know you don't mean that. RV's in fact (many not all) are better built than a C172. Flight performance, no comparison. Some RV's are just beautiful works of art and built like a watch. Of course they sell for $80,000 to $120,000.

Design wise a RV is more than rugged enough, not withstanding the nose gear, which is a compromise for speed, weight and ease of construction. The construction of RV's are more than adiquate.

A C172 has a 130 mph cruise optimistically, not to mention anemic climb. RV's are much faster. A C182 is faster than C172, but burns more gas and still slower than a RV. RV's climb to cruise 3, 4 times faster and trues +190 mph.

A 135 sm flt each way, 2 hrs-Cessna, 1 hr 25-RV. Total flt time is longer for taxi, takeoff, climb, approach and pre/post flight, but comparing cruise speed we get 0.6 less hours per trip. The RV burns less gas, less time less gas. Let's say $19.20 less gas per trip, times 5, about $100 wk, $400 month.

I can't possible see how a C172 is better for this mission.

With pre and post flight that is 2-3 hrs a day, assuming RV speed. A C-172 will be 3-4 hours. Drive time to/fm airports? Ground transportation at both ends is an issue. High utilization rate, about 8-10 hours a week means time maintaining, one, two hrs/wk, 25 hour oil changes, etc...

Cost: At 20 trips/month, 270 miles/trip, 30 hr/month, 240 gal, $840 @ $3.50. Add oil changes and other maintenance, your $1000 budget is stretched. Gas price is the key factor. The C-172 will cost more due to higher fuel cost. Include engine overhaul reserves and other fixed cost, hanger, insurance its going to cost big bucks. However if you own a plane, I'm all for flying and using your plane (safely).

What are the real practical aspects of weather, winter time? I can't estimate year round conditions in that region but guess the SW corner of UT may get severe winter weather. The point, you will not be able to fly every day, or even for a week, month at a time.

NOW HOW I DID IT:
I commuted about 35-40 sm air miles one way, driving was about the same 30-35 miles. I lived 10 min from my base airport where I kept my light twin in an open t-hanger. My job was about 10 min from the other airport, where I keep a 1974 AMC "Matador" land yacht, color rust. Block time was usually 30 minutes exactly. Actual wheels up flight from engine start, to shut down was almost 20 min (flew at low 55% pwr). With 10 min drive time at each end it was about the same as driving with light traffic, but I was doing it for time building, not practical reasons. However with heavy typical traffic driving could take double. Of course I was also having fun. I typically landed south on a 9,000 ft runway and "air taxied" down the runway for a mile to my parking at the south end. I'd ask to land long and flew in ground effect for fun.

I always pre-flighted the plane thoroughly the night before, so the morning checks where short and cursory. There was no hanger door to open and close to cost time with the covered parking. I also had free tie down parking at the other end. I worked on the field as a CFI and used the schools parking area. My "other" real day job was off the field about 10 minutes.

By car from home to job took about 40 min, with zero traffic, with traffic ++ 1 hour. Flying practical? no, but I was building twin time. The good part is I had options. Also I launch with weather at mins, since there where almost always VFR alternates on the other side of the mountains, so IFR Alt flight planning was easy. If I could not get in, I could also go back to home base and drive. That happened once. If it was that marginal I just drove.

Morning fog often formed at the destination airport. It was common to fly VFR 99% of the flight, except for the last 20 seconds and 300 feet on an ILS to mins! That was a challenge to land at mins after being VFR. The trick was to get to the airport early, before the fog. I knew when the fog formed. Yep, per the FAA exam, most likely time for fog is about 1 hour AFTER sunrise. A few occasions, in the time it took to landed, tie down, drive to work 10 mins away, the airport went zero-zero. Timing is everything. I would plan on taking off at sun-up and land before the fog. It worked. It's hard to log 20 secs of of IMC. :D

Of course IFR rating and equip is a must. In your case, icing conditions may keep you on the ground. To make my IFR filling quick, I had two canned flight plans with the flight service. I called and got the automated metar/taf and to file my flight plan I gave them my personal FP number. Done. I went VFR when able of course. IFR would add as much as 10 min as they needed to vector me for approach. The cool part was the runways where North-South, and the commute was N to S, so it was usually straight takeoff south to a south landing.

There was one or two times I was so tired at the end of the day (I had two jobs, teaching simulators/flight instructing) I'd dive home in the beater airport car. A couple of times the weather low going home, so I drove. The base airport had no approach. If it was not too bad, I could shoot an approach to an airport 10 miles away and break off once below the cloud deck and go VFR to my base, I did that a hand full of times.

I commuted for almost two years, every week, 3-6 days a week, except the month the plane was down for maintenance. Oh yes. To make this work, you need to be handy with a wrench and get your hands dirty, doing all you can. An experimental allows you more "flexibility" in maintenance. Professional maintenance adds significant cost and loss of use. Even factory planes allow owner/pilot basic maintenance.

Bottom line, tired don't fly. How will you deal with the commute, deal with logistics, weather, hassles of life, work? It's not like a car where you can go down the freeway jamming on tunes and go, oh there's my exit. You have a lot more mental gymnastics flying. This could bite you. I don't know you personality, skills or judgment, but commuting by air is not for everyone. IT CAN BE DONE, BUT TAKES SKILL AND JUDGMENT (and money). A few "got to get there" light plane commuters have died, many ATP's, but if you have $12,000 to commute, more power to you. I spent about $10,000 in 18 months (many years ago) in plane commuting. I had fun and got twin time leading to my first airline job.

You may love it, you may hate it. The real bottom line is don't kill yourself. I had a good boss and jobs (professional not hourly employee) where if I was late, it was not a big deal. If I HAD TO BE THERE, I DROVE.

Last edited:
In General ...

As usual George you make good points. In this situation I think the fellow would be better off starting a regular commute with a Skyhawk. It's a "walk before you run" thing with me where the variables need to be minimized.

Bob Axsom