KCChris

Much to my surprise I was quoting an install of a Garmin stack (340/330/SL30) and I got post purchase sticker shock when the avionics shop in my local town wanted $5500 for the install. Maybe i am way off base here but I would have thought it would have been a bit cheaper. Am I off base or should I not look for a local (ICT/MKC) avionics guy for a side job.....

Chris

That sounds about right for an avionics shop....

That sounds about right for an avionics shop. If that also includes the parts and labor for antennas, co-ax, circuit breakers, and connectors that actually sounds like a rather fair price. Remember they are typically charging you around $90-$100 per hour for labor (they have a facility to support).

If you can find an experienced avionics guys to work with on the side it might be half as much. When I do side jobs for some of the local guys around the airport I typically charge $40 per hour plus parts.

Hope this helps.

Much to my surprise I was quoting an install of a Garmin stack (340/330/SL30) and I got post purchase sticker shock when the avionics shop in my local town wanted $5500 for the install. Maybe i am way off base here but I would have thought it would have been a bit cheaper. Am I off base or should I not look for a local (ICT/MKC) avionics guy for a side job.....

Chris

Just give Jed or Stein a call at Steinair or Jason at Aerotronics. Either company will guide you through the install and save you some money too.

bob

Panel build

I was quoted even more than that! I ended up having the avionics shop just wire the nav/comm's & audio panel harness together ($900) and I did the rest. Took me 6 mo of wiring and now I really know my panel.

Have you considered a hub, like a approach fast stack. It make wiring a breeze and future upgrade/changes just as easy. If you can plug in your computer monitor to your PC, then you can do this with the hub and the cost is much cheaper then spending $100 at an avionics shop. If you are lucky, this may be still available
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=69369

Good luck