LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
I want to install the DIY AOA that Mel Asberry has but I need the coupling that SafeAir1 recommends to connect 1/4" aluminum tubing to plastic tubing. Avery is out of stock. Anyone know who else might carry such a thing?

This is what I'm looking for:

AoA_Pitot_Conn_01.jpg

I want to install the DIY AOA that Mel Asberry has but I need the coupling that SafeAir1 recommends to connect 1/4" aluminum tubing to plastic tubing. Avery is out of stock. Anyone know who else might carry such a thing?

Bob, cut a 3" length of hose (rubber, flexible vinyl, etc) that has the same ID as the OD of your tubing. Slip it over the aluminum and plastic hose and you have a coupling.

I've used this technique for over 20 years and it makes a reliable, airtight connection. It works so well you will probably have to cut the "coupling" if you need to disconnect the hoses...but you know how to make a new one. :)

[thread moved to General Discussion so it will be in the archives]

Last edited:
I agree with Sam. Actually all of my pitot and AOA connections are just slip-on.

Pressures are so low that it doesn't take much to seal.

Third vote for the simple rubber tube sleeve - been doing it for decades, and never a problem.

My 31 year old LongEZ has vinyl tube couplings that are holding up perfectly. If so inclined, use a couple of small ty-wraps to cinch down lightly on the vinyl. Low weight, low cost and simple.

My 31 year old LongEZ has vinyl tube couplings that are holding up perfectly. If so inclined, use a couple of small ty-wraps to cinch down lightly on the vinyl. Low weight, low cost and simple.

Easier than tyraps, just slide a slightly undersize O-ring over the tube at each slip joint.

It will exert an even pressure around the plastic tube circumference unlike a tyrap.

Don't Beat Me Up

Vinyl tubing....any special kind?
Get it from?
A couple of inches each way?
The kit I bought has "hard pipe" static run to the cockpit area.
First time I have seen that, it's alum tube...1/4" OS dia.
It is not Van's static kit. The two ports, on the outside skin are about
silver dollar size with four rivets each.
The tee for the ports only sits about 2" above the ports.
Sure would like to convert to plastic to make all the connections easier
All comments and direction greatly appreciated.

Vinyl tubing....any special kind?
Get it from?
A couple of inches each way?
The kit I bought has "hard pipe" static run to the cockpit area.
First time I have seen that, it's alum tube...1/4" OS dia.
It is not Van's static kit. The two ports, on the outside skin are about
silver dollar size with four rivets each.
The tee for the ports only sits about 2" above the ports.
Sure would like to convert to plastic to make all the connections easier
All comments and direction greatly appreciated.

I take a short piece of the tubing I want "coupled" to the local big box store (Lowes) and select tubing off the shelf that is a tight fit. The vinyl tubing is protected from UV in our installations so service life is measured in the tens of years. But you can also use neoprene tubing from the local auto parts store.

Also, ice maker nylon tubing works very nicely for running AOA and pitot-static lines. You can use the "tubing coupler" or if you want to go fancy, the push on connectors found next to the ice maker tubing work just fine.

This is low-tech, no need to make it more complicated than necessary. :)

Thanks Sam

Being new to building airplanes, one's mind thinks everything is special
to an airplane and highly controlled.
I will learn as I progress.
Thanks again:)

Home Depot

Has them. Seem to work well. I also used ice maker supply tubing. Same aisle.

Last edited:
Has them. Seem to work well. I also used ice maker supply tubing. Same aisle.

You could have avoided the alum tubing and the coupling by just bringing the plastic line right up and flaring the end just like the alum and use the same collar.

It's probably overkill, but I found these bulkhead fittings at Automation Direct that are 1/4" plastic tube to 1/8" NPTF. I plan on mounting two of them in the rib between the pitot/AOA tube and the bellcrank bay in the left wing. I'll then use an AN816-3D nipple between this fitting and the aluminum tubing from the pitot/AOA.
FP03082013A0002Z.jpg

I'm gonna divulge a little secret that will make safeair mad at me:

http://www.poweraire.com/instant-fi....html?osCsid=f662df19122431e776ca94e5869b1fd7

http://www.poweraire.com/fittings-instant-fittings-c-21_573.html

I use them for all my pitot/static runs, as well as all my shop air (it's the same stuff as the very spendy "rapidair" shop air plumbing kits). They're pneumatic fittings and they're good from -29.5inhg vacuum up to 150psi pressure. Plenty adequate for anything you want to use them for on the RV :)

Last edited:
....Also, ice maker nylon tubing works very nicely for running AOA and pitot-static lines. You can use the "tubing coupler" or if you want to go fancy, the push on connectors found next to the ice maker tubing work just fine.

This is low-tech, no need to make it more complicated than necessary. :)

**Ice maker** parts?!?! OMG!!

;) ;)

red silicone tubing

red silicone tubing over the tube ends to make the coupling....just like certified.