PhatRV

Well Known Member
Patron
I am making a checklist to verify everything is okay in preparation for 1st engine start.

Is there a test I can do to verify the Alternator is working correctly before the engine fires up for the first time? I installed the switch over 2 years ago and I did it by "faith". Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks

Without taking the alternator off and performing a bench run at an alternator shop, I'm not aware of any ground test you can do. The downside is that involves its own risk of maintenance-induced failures, and it doesn't really test your whole charging system--just the alternator.

I would say the vast majority of us just start the engine and watch alternator amps along with all the other parameters. Of course, how it reads amps depends on how you have your system configured. If your EFIS requires it, make sure you have a data card installed prior to first start so you can look at any data later.

You could remove the belt and drive the alternator with a 3000rpm pneumatic drill with a hex-to-square drive adapter and socket to fit the pulley nut. Rotation direction doesn’t matter. You’ll need a buddy to either do the rotating or to watch the efis display.

Although, why bother? You’ll know within a few seconds if it works on first engine start.

It is totally unnecessary to test it prior to starting the engine. When the engine is running if your voltage is above 13V the alternator is putting out. I say 13V because at idle the voltage most likely won’t be what it’s set to. Your battery certainly won’t be over 13V so if it’s reading over 13V, most likely over 13.5 V, then you’re good. Also depending where you have the amp meter located it will either be reading total output amps or charging amps going to the battery. Initially the amps will be reading high especially if the battery is a little low so don’t let that worry you

Last edited: