dbuds2

Well Known Member
I have an opportunity transfer to Sicily Italy from Florida for 2 years. Except for electronics, paint and things not thought of yet, my RV8 is getting close.

Looking for your experience on transport and completion in Italy or just store here. I just received my US FAA registration.

how long has it taken you to get to this far? what do you mean by usa registration? will your job in sicily allow much time to devote to the plane?

4 years so far

Started tail about 4 years ago, and yes, I believe I'll have time available from work. Your question caused me wonder about space to build in, my perception is smaller places in Italy, not that my 2-car garage is that big. I now have my tail number "N88ZP" registered rather than just reserved.

Hi Bud,

I know somebody who took his fuselage kit abroad and didn't touch it for three years. Two years in airplane building is a short period of time. Leave the project at home go enjoy Italy and work and use your free time to think the electronic things and plan for your return to the shop . Thinking and planning is very time consuming work too :) You will complete your RV within a year after that. Storing plane at home will save you money on transportation (could be big bucks) and will keep you stress-free.
Just an opinion.

Bud i don't have experience with a project overseas, other than some shipping. You'll probably need a small container to move everything. you could probably get a quote on a container shipped to italy pretty quick.

other than that, I think you should enjoy italy in your time off, visit the mountains, go skiing in the alps, go to the Med, visit Rome, etc etc.

Hi Bud,

There's a fellow who just completed an RV-9 in Italy. Apparently he's from a place called Nepi. I saw his post on the factory website. Perhaps you could look him up for some advice.

Aaron

Go to Italy, buy a cheap fixer upper airplane and have fun while keeping your hand in. When ready to come home, sell at profit, return to FL inspired to finish the 8.

Or alternatively order a Sonex kit for Italy and pop rivet that together in about 1/4 the time it took for the 8 so far :rolleyes:

panel

Another idea is maybe just work on the panel and wiring harness in Italy. Then you could still keep your head in the game and not need to transport the whole project. You wouldn't need to bring your shop with you, and you can work on wiring in your residence.

If you plan well enough to bring home a fully complete panel and wiring harness, you'll be well on your way to flying after you get home.