WISC

Well Known Member
I have been looking to purchase a RV. Recently decided to wait until I find out where Uncle Sam is going to send me next.
However, I saw a RV4 project on B. Stormers.
I have never built an airplane and thought I would ask a few questions from the experts here:
1. Is this a reasonable price?
2. How many hours remaining to complete? I understand some subjectivity on this question.
3. Can a novice such as myself figure out where to start on this project?
4. Anything specific I should ask the owner?

Thanks,
WISC

http://www.barnstormers.com/listing_images.php?id=792861

VANS RV-4 PROJECT ? $10,000 ? SALE FELL THROUGH ? Back on the market Vans RV4 project. Kit is complete and ready for you to finish and fly. motivated seller looking for serious buyers only .price has been lowered 500.00. don't wait ? Contact Mark Mackenzie, Owner - located Monrovia, IN USA ? Telephone: 3173391332 . ? Posted August 10, 2013 ? Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser ? Recommend This Ad to a Friend ? Email Advertiser ? Save to Watchlist ? Report This Ad ? View Larger Pictures

Last edited by a moderator:
Highly recommend getting a local seasoned builder to look at the project with you and help evaluate it. Perhaps a local EAA chapter can recommend someone. Anything else would be a wild guess and no advantage to you. Good luck, Larry

I have been looking to purchase a RV. Recently decided to wait until I find out where Uncle Sam is going to send me next.
However, I saw a RV4 project on B. Stormers.
I have never built an airplane and thought I would ask a few questions from the experts here:
1. Is this a reasonable price?
2. How many hours remaining to complete? I understand some subjectivity on this question.
3. Can a novice such as myself figure out where to start on this project?
4. Anything specific I should ask the owner?

Thanks,
WISC

http://www.barnstormers.com/listing_images.php?id=792861

VANS RV-4 PROJECT • $10,000 • SALE FELL THROUGH • Back on the market Vans RV4 project. Kit is complete and ready for you to finish and fly. motivated seller looking for serious buyers only .price has been lowered 500.00. don't wait • Contact Mark Mackenzie, Owner - located Monrovia, IN USA • Telephone: 3173391332 . • Posted August 10, 2013 • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser • Recommend This Ad to a Friend • Email Advertiser • Save to Watchlist • Report This Ad • View Larger Pictures

LG since you asked here we go. Don't. You indicated you are busy, often on the move and work for the Uncle. You also said you never built an airplane. Doesn't matter how attractive the price on that airframe is it might end up on the market again in 5-7 years for 90% of the money you paid for it.

Even if you suddenly find couple thousand hours of free time and attend the project on daily basis you would have to learn basic skills of proper construction technique. Van sells subkit-after-subkit from the very simple empennage to the most complicated fwf on purpose. To keep the learning curve moderately steep but some builders find it overwhelming anyway and quit or burn out when the project is almost complete.

Even if you buy that airframe expect totals on you dream RV not less then 50K. Even if you are super frugal. Take a look at this beauty and price http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=101851&page=2 and think. Talk to your bank, buy similar and enjoy. If building bug is still biting, buy a 7 tail...

Last edited:
Don't get scared off by the naysayers alone. Since you are near DC lets talk Bout it.

Richard Bibb
RV4 N144KT
571-379-3290

Thanks everyone I need truthful advice.
Richard let me know a good time to call. I just flew out of Stafford this past Saturday to go to Culpepper's pancake breakfast.
WISC

My advice, worth every penny you paid for it:

Unless you have a BURNING DESIRE to Build an airplane, move on.

If you want to fly, buy a flyer.

If you want to build, then that's different.

I started an RV-4 back in 1976. I was on active duty with the Navy. Learned a lot, but never came close to finishing it.

I finally bought a completed RV-6, now flying, and loving it. It depends on whether you want to have the enjoyment of Building, or do you want the enjoyment of Flying.

YMMV

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have just purchased the kit in question at the top of this thread.

I will be shipping it across the Atlantic to the UK where I plan to complete it.

Overall the workmanship on this aircraft is done to a high standard but will require a little bit of re-work here and there where it has picked up a little bit of hangar rash over the years.

I am looking forward to my project arriving and getting stuck in.

Regards,

Simon

RV4UK ;
Simon, Good luck.
WISC, you might consider buying an already flying RV-4, the simple O-320 wood prop versions can be found as low as $30,000. These are an absolute hoot to fly, I would never have built my RV-8 if I had flown in the front seat of one years ago. now my wife has one, what a time machine! I can't think of a faster way to get yourself a few hundred miles gone. In case your wondering, she always comes back. :D
Look up Smokey Ray's posts, I consider him the ambassador of simple light fun RVs, also, I believe he hooks servicemen (and others) up with experimental planes quite often?