Davepar

Well Known Member
I was blindly drilling out the holes in the tip-up canopy skin and made a minor screw-up. One of the #40 holes came out right next to an existing 1/8" splice plate rivet.

This hole:
IMG_4410.jpg

came out here:
IMG_4411.jpg

My choices seem to be:
1. Forge ahead and use a 3/32" rivet there next to the 1/8" rivet.
2. Fill the #40 hole with epoxy and leave the 1/8" rivet in place.
3. Remove the rivet, drill out the hole to #10 and replace with an AN509-10 flat head screw.

I'm leaning toward option 3 at the moment. The only drawback is that there's not quite enough edge distance on the canopy frame underneath the splice plate for a #10 screw. The material is plenty thick enough to countersink for the #10 screw head.

Dave

Yeah, I found that too! Van's better update their drawings to make this align. I hadn't riveted my splice plate in so I used new ones. I didn't drill that hole and used the skin as my guide.

For you, I'd probably do option 2 or 3.

FWIW Dave,

I did the same thing. I opted for #1 (put in a rivet).

It looks cool from the left seat :) .

Best,

I did # 1 option. Been flying for a year and a half with no problems. There's enough overbuild there that one little misplaced rivet won't matter. Just be careful when bucking or squeezing that 3/32 so the shop head looks nice.

Build on,

Roberta

JB Weld

Clean it up, tape the back and fill with JB Weld, sand smooth and you're done.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ
Also a victim of this

Thanks for the advice. You're right Roberta. There are 4 other rivets on just the one half of the splice plate. It's not going to fall apart. I think I'll just stick a rivet in there and move on. I'm ready to be done with the canopy.