Don Patrick

Well Known Member
I fitted the left tank for return line and a flop tube. As you can see, the flop tube runs over the return line, but has no issue touching the bottom of the tank. My concern is the contact with the return line and the flop tube braid.

I was thinking that once the return line is permanantly installed, a generous bead of proseal covering the top of the fitting where the flop tube will come in contact with the fitting may prevent any chaffing.

Any ideas or suggestions, or am I worried for nothing?

Thanks

Don

352p6h2.jpg

No love. Bit of sympathy perhaps. I to would be concerned.

Difficult to tell from the angle, but could you rotate the 90 deg -6 up so there is no contact, but still allow the flop to touch the bottom?

I think if you were to rely on proseal to avoid chafing, I think it should go on both surfaces, and allowed to dry seperately. Otherwise I imagine the stainless braiding would wear through any proseal on the nut, leaving all that in the tank (or worse).

Hopefully someone will come in with the pefect solution.

Paul.

I don't like it...

While it is probably fine, I don't like it. I would try a 45 bulkhead fitting with your setup; you can return fuel without a dedicated return line... just T upstream of the selector valve.

If it were mine, I'd consider moving the return line fitting to put the line above the flop tube. That way the flop tube won't rest on the line for 99.44% of the flying you'll do. I'm thinking about 10 o'clock outside the stiffener ring indentation. If the flop tube still hits the return line while inverted, THEN add the proseal "bumpers".

I wouldn't reccomend teeing the fuel reeturn line into the fuel suction.
That is a controversial work around to avoid doing what you have already done correctly.
I used the same spot for the fuel return, but I used the supplied 90 degree bulkhead fitting, and aimed it straight down.
I don't see an advantage to running the fuel return line outboard like you did?
Anyway, if you direct the return fuel straight down, and put an anti snag angle above and below it, I would think you'll be all right?

I wouldn't reccomend teeing the fuel return line into the fuel suction.
That is a controversial work around to avoid doing what you have already done correctly.
I used the same spot for the fuel return, but I used the supplied 90 degree bulkhead fitting, and aimed it straight down.
I don't see an advantage to running the fuel return line outboard like you did?
Anyway, if you direct the return fuel straight down, and put an anti snag angle above and below it, I would think you'll be all right?

Thanks!

Thanks for the input folks.

I'm going to just add a 90 degree elbow and not add the 3/8 line. That should alleviate any issues with chaffing.

I was going to put the line to the 2nd bay as the capacitive plates were there, but, it makes perfect sense to put the line in the first bay where the pick up is (I think!)

Cheers,

Don