jhrv7

I'm New Here
Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, if not please move it.

I recently purchased an almost complete empennage and mostly untouched wing kit. Could someone please advise me on what I need to notify Van's on change of ownership? I live in Belize so it's not going to be a US registered aircraft. And I'm new to this whole building thing, so I hope you'll forgive my ignorance.

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, if not please move it.

I recently purchased an almost complete empennage and mostly untouched wing kit. Could someone please advise me on what I need to notify Van's on change of ownership? I live in Belize so it's not going to be a US registered aircraft. And I'm new to this whole building thing, so I hope you'll forgive my ignorance.

Just email or call Vans with the your info and the previous builder #. That's is the number that goes with the empennage and how vans records who has what. Then they will transfer that builder # to you. Super simple.

Note: As mentioned in posts below you'll need a Bill of Sale. I forgot to mention it in my original post.

Last edited:
Welcome to VAF!

James, welcome to VAF.:D

A letter to Vans, with a copy of the bill of sale, and a copy of the prior builder number paperwork should be all you need.

At least that is what it took when I bought someone else's project, but then there was no international factor to it.

You may need to get the bill of sale notarized. Call Van's and they will let you know what they need. In the USA you have to have a Bill of Sale from Van's to register the aircraft, and Van's has to have the documentation in order that let's them know your builder number.

I did this a couple of years ago. I just needed a copy of the bill of sale and the builders number mailed to Vans. My seller did provide the bill of sale that was worded correctly according to Vans needs. It is probably on the internet somewhere to download.