mantry

Well Known Member
Howdy, sorry I didn't see a better forum to put this in.... MODS please move if it is better suited somewhere else.

One of the number, the 4 small round knobs to set the IDENT code on my Garmin GTX 320 has developed a crack in it and needs to be replaced.

Anyone been through this before? I tried to give it a quick pull to see if it would come off but that is about all I have done.

Can you replace the knobs without tearing it apart? I would assume they come off the front somehow. How?

And, where can a new knob be found? I did a quick google for garmin transponder parts but didn't discover anything earth shattering like parts.garmin.com

Thanks!
Mark

Knob

Mark,

There is probably a set screw that you can unscrew to get the knob off. Could be an Allen head or a screw head. You could remove the knob and either epoxy or super glue the crack. Then lightly spray paint satin or flat black to match the others. Should be a pretty easy fix.

Oly

ouch

you're not going to like this.....I had a knob break on my 320 and went to my my avionics dealer. They went to Garmin who wanted over a $1000.00 !!! for the knob as you have to buy the whole face plate.
I was at Garmin for a course and did a factory tour. I asked about buying a knob from them and it was still over a $1000.00. Crazy Crazy
The knobs are friction fit and will pull off. A repair as mentioned should work for you.

Steve, I'll try giving them a call. Wayne, what did you end up doing? Also Wayne, can you confirm how the knobs come off? Set screw/Friction?
Thanks!

Thanks Jeff, I've got a line on some that I'm working on now, if that doesn't pan out, I'll sure to investigate your links.

Steve, I'll try giving them a call. Wayne, what did you end up doing? Also Wayne, can you confirm how the knobs come off? Set screw/Friction?
Thanks!

I glued it with one wrap of tape. Did eventually get one from a avionics shop but that took a few years of looking. They are friction fit

Update, I purchased a non-working GTX320 off of eBay and pried one of the knobs off and replaced the one on my transponder. Presto, back in action.

If anyone needs any GTX320 parts, please let me know.