Don Patrick

Well Known Member
For any of you Dynon experts.

I'm wiring my avionics currently and have a bit of a head scratcher...

I have a D180 with an HS34 and AP74.

I have a G496 and an SL-40.

In order for the G496 to push the frequencies to the SL-40, the SL-40 PIN 10 is connected to PIN 15 (serial 2 TX) of the male DB25 on the HS-34.

The Dynon manual suggests to use PIN 14 on the HS-34 is PIN 15 is used. The problem is, PIN 14 (Serial 1) is used for the PC serial update DSUB.

So the question is, can I move the PC serial PINS 2, 3, and 5 to the DB37 on the EMS of the D180 so that it frees up PIN 14 on the DB25 EFIS side?

Will the PC serial update work for both the EMS and EFIS, regardless of what DSUB it's on? Or is there an easier solution?

Thanks

Don

If the HS34 is in the system, the primary connection between all serial devices and the Dynon system must be with the HS34 not the D180. You can add backup links but they will only be used if the HS34 dies.

The pins that are shown to be able to connect the HS34 to a computer for firmware updates can pull double duty. Many people just put a mating connector on the end of the cable coming from their GPS or radio so that it is easy to disconnect if you need to update firmware.

The way I would do it is:
Put the 496 on serial port one of the HS34 (just put a mating plug on it so it can connect to the DSUB)
And then put the SL40 on the serial port two of the HS34.

Or

You could just not connect the SL40 to the HS34 at all by splitting the 496 TX line into 2 lines and take one to the HS34 serial port #2 and one to the SL40 RX pin. There is no real advantage to putting the SL40 on the HS34 since the Dynon does not receive anything from it. If you ever plan to upgrade to an SL30 however, this is not the recommended way to do it because you will need bi-directional communication with the SL30.

Thanks

Thanks Brian,

I figured out that the D37 and D25 PC inputs are not for the same thing, so that was a no go. Not entirely sure on what or how to fashion a mating plug. Do you have any photos? So if I understand this right, I should remove the pin for the PC serial that occupies PIN 14 on the HS34. I then insert the GPS serial pin and then splice it so that I can have that splice go into the PC serial Dsub9 with the other two Pins? That will give me ability to use the same pin for 2 different functions?

Thanks

Don

Last edited:
They tell you to put a female 9 Pin Dshell connector on the port used for PC updates to the HS34. All you need to do is put a Male one on the serial device you want to connect to the same port.

Plug em together and zip tie them.

If you need to do a firmware update (not often now), pull that apart and do the update and then plug em back together.

I don't like splicing this line and TEE'ing a Dsub into it because sometimes there are issues with trying to use a line for PC updates when something other than the HS34/EFIS is also connected.