cjensen

Well Known Member
Do I need a heat shield with 1 3/16" between the pipe and fuel line?

10-25-08-006w.jpg

Pretty sure I know the answer(s) I'm gonna get, but if I DON'T need one, it's that much less weight...:cool:

<<Do I need a heat shield with 1 3/16" between the pipe and fuel line?>>

No. You need to re-route the line <g>.

<<Do I need a heat shield with 1 3/16" between the pipe and fuel line?>>

No. You need to re-route the line <g>.

Try a 45* fitting on the carb.

Guys, this is EXACTLY per plans...there is no other way to route that line. It comes off the fuel pump, and has to go in to the carb from that direction. I have a 45* fitting on the carb. The plans do call for a heat shield, but I didn't know if one was necessary with the distance between the two.

Putting a cabin heater there would result in unnecessarily long SCAT runs.

Yeah, I saw it in the plans...I was just hoping that 1 3/16" was a wide enough gap to not use one. I pieced my FWF stuff together, so I'll have to figure out how to make one...

Chad, perhaps you can add a bit of clearance just by tagging it a bit away from the pipe. Some sort of support.

Another possibility if it still bugs you is to add another short segment of larger firesleeve over the current one.

I ended up buying a 90-degree fitting to give me a little more clearance out of the carb. I used the small heat shield supplied with the kit, and made another one the same size. There was still a short section of fuel line that was only 3 inches or so away from the exhaust pipes. Since I just applied a bunch of heat shielding to the inside of the cowl, I took a couple strips of that (super thick tin foil with adhesive backing) and wrapped it around the lower part of the fuel line. Probably overkill, but oh well.

Anybody have a pic of that heat shield that comes with the FWF kit?

If not, what's the best way to get the shield to stand off the pipe?

Builder option

I figure the casing on the throttle cable really doesn't need any extra heat so here is yet another heat shield application: Overkill? Maybe, maybe not.